April 2, 2011

Just shut up

The first sins after than initial eating of the forbidden fruit was self-defense and blame-shifting. When God asked about what he had done, Adam said, “I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself. . . . The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.” (Genesis 3:10–12)

Adam defended himself. Also, it is often said that he blamed Eve, but that phrase “You gave to be with me” showed that he blamed God for his sin. While this seems ludicrous, the New Testament has to remind us that we tend to do this:

Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and He himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. (James 1:13–15)
In the past few weeks, I’ve been thinking about the ways that I blame God. It seems that each time I complain, given that I believe God is sovereign, then I am actually blaming God’s providence for the circumstances that I do not want or like. My mother used to say, “Well, we must need this or we would not be getting it.” These words were her way of trying to remind the family to be thankful rather than complain.

It is easier to be thankful for the good stuff. For instance, yesterday funeral service for my mother-in-law was a surprise blessing. The music, the message, the brief eulogy all worked together (evidence of the Holy Spirit who alone can produce such unity). Even the most distressed mourners were amazed at the blessing and the peace that came to their hearts. We can easily thank God for that and events like that.

However, this morning we looked out our hotel room window to a spring snowstorm. This is nasty weather for the six-hour drive home. Can I thank God for events like this? Or do I offer verbal expression to how much I do not like what is happening outside?

The Bible says that Jesus was tempted in every way that we are tempted but did not sin. Surely this temptation to defend Himself and blame His Father would have been one of those ‘all’ points. One example where such temptation might have occurred was just before His crucifixion.

Then Pilate said to Him, “Do you not hear how many things they testify against you?” But He gave him no answer, not even to a single charge, so that the governor was greatly amazed. (Matthew 27:13–14)
Jesus could have said, “My Father put me here to bear the sins of the world, so I must do that, no matter how nasty they are or how many lies they tell about me.”

Those would have been legitimate words; they were true. Out of His mouth they could have been uttered without a trace of resentment. Yet He knew our minds. Had He said that, I might have been the first one to use such a response to justify my responses to hardships, even those experienced when I obey God. They are what some called a “hidden brag” because saying something like this is self-serving. It says ‘look at me’ and even ‘poor me’ rather than resisting the temptation to make obedience about me instead of a glory to God.

*****
The Bible says that no one ever spoke like Jesus spoke. Spurgeon points out that no one was ever silent like Jesus either. Lord, I could take a few lessons in this. I’ve always been quick to defend myself when accused or even misunderstood, and quick to blame others, even You, when things do not go the way that I want them to. This makes life all about me, which is the very essence of sin. You created me to bring You glory. To do this, many times I don’t need to talk, but to simply shut up.

No comments: