April 25, 2011

Is there a knock at the door?

Our granddaughter ate an Easter dinner with us on Saturday. She asked many questions about our lives. We told her how poor we had been, both before we met and after we married. We also shared how good God has been to us. My husband loves his work, and I was able to stay home and raise our family.

Yesterday was an example of the difference between back then and the way we live now. After an Easter Sunday breakfast and the worship service at our church, we relaxed in our comfortable home. After awhile, my husband called my sister who lives about five hours away. For both, our family members were either working or elsewhere, so we decided to meet halfway and have turkey dinner together, a whimsical choice that we could afford and enjoy.

However, there is a danger in blessing. Just as trials can be a test of faith, so can the good life. Prosperity and the freedom of discretionary time and money can draw my heart away from God. 

I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot.  Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. (Revelation 3:15–21)
As I read from these words of Jesus this morning, I think how easy it would be to forget God, or at least forget that all we enjoy is because of His grace. How often have I been more thankful for the gifts than I have been for the Giver? How often has Jesus knocked at the door of my heart and I have been too busy with the stuff of life to even hear the tapping, never mind let Him in? How easily do I forget that without Him I am nothing?

Jesus once offered a solution to this problem to a rich young man. He said, “Go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me” (Mark 10:21). This man could not do it and walked away.

Jesus does not ask me to get rid of His blessings (at least not yet). Instead, He asks me to have a right attitude toward them and toward Him. I cannot think that I am without need. He knows, and I know it too, that without Him, I am as He says: wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked — physically and spiritually.

The story of Job tells me that God isn’t nearly so concerned about my health and wealth as He is about my response to Him. He wants my wholehearted devotion, not part of it while the rest goes to the baubles of this life. He wants me to hold things loosely so that if He asked, I could easily let go.

This does not negate enjoyment. Jesus went to weddings, went fishing, ate and laughed with His friends. He lived, but He also was willing to leave all that for our sakes and die.

*************************
Jesus, may I never take life and Your blessings for granted. Eating with You is more important to my joy than anything else that I do. You give my life purpose, whether I am rich or poor. You can use Me to impact eternity using the blessings You give me to assist in Your wonderful plan. If I ever get to a place where I cannot or will not hear You knocking at the door of my heart, then please pound harder. Nothing compares to the wonder of intimacy with You.

No comments: