April 9, 2011

Gratitude for the blessings of dependence

At our first neighborhood block party, someone asked me what I did. They were looking for a ‘career’ answer and instead out popped, “I’m a kept woman.” Her jaw dropped, but this surprised me too as it had not entered my head prior to saying it.

A lifetime of being dependent on someone else for the necessities of life is quite opposite to North American independence. Many women have jobs and wear their title with pride. For me, that question usually gets my response of “self-employed” or “writer” or something that shows I don’t sit at home and twiddle my thumbs, but I do get tired of the question.

This morning the thought occurs that this lifestyle has perhaps contributed to my spiritual life. As proud and as full of self-effort as I am, perhaps God knew that depending on my spouse would help me learn to be more dependent on Him.

Actually, everyone is dependent on God. The Bible rightly says that it is in Him that we live and move and have our being. He gives us life and breath and everything (Acts 17). This is true for our physical lives, and even more pronounced for spiritual life.

Prior to Christ, I was “dead in my sin” and without any eternal hope. I did not understand the Bible nor did I seek God. When the Holy Spirit put a thirst for Him into my heart, I stubbornly resisted trusting Him and relying on His grace and power. Yet God is more stubborn — and wise. He used all the circumstances of life to teach me that He alone can save me from my sin, deliver me from the lies of Satan, help me walk in victory and even give me an abundant life. I agree with the psalmist who wrote:

You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great. (Psalm 18:35)
When David wrote this, he had just been delivered from Saul who was trying to kill him. This psalm is a prayer of gratitude for his safety, but it is also a prayer of my heart.
****************
God, You have given me that same shield. In the New Testament, it is called the shield of faith. With it I am protected from the lies of my spiritual enemy, the devil. Faith shields my heart from his attacks and gives me assurance of Your continual love and care. Thank You for the gift of faith.

I also know the support of Your right hand. The New Testament clarifies who sits there; it is Jesus Christ at the right hand of God. Without Him I can do nothing. With Him I can do all things. Jesus not only supports me, but leads and guides me where You want me to go. Without Jesus, I can do nothing to please You or even obey You. For Jesus, I am eternally grateful.

The Old Testament word “gentleness” in that verse could also be translated as “humility” or “meekness.” These seem odd words to describe Your activities, but it was in meekness that God the Son lowered Himself and became a man. Humility brought You to earth to reveal Your great heart. In meekness, You died for our sin, my sin. It is because of this great humility that I have eternal life. You gently and kindly love me. For this I am also eternally grateful.

Further, your kindness made me great? I don’t see greatness in myself, but that word “great” is also translated as “increase” and “abundance.” In the New Testament, Jesus said, “The thief (meaning Satan) comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly” (John 10:10).

I cannot claim greatness as I would use that word, but I do know something about increase and abundance. You have blessed me with such fulness of life that I often weep with gratitude. Thank You, thank You for all that You have done!

No comments: