April 10, 2011

Faith calms the heart and clears the mind

Faith is about knowing. It has no explanations, or at least none that can be easily explained. When God says something, those who have faith just know it is true. When that still small voice whispers it will be so, faith simply knows it will be so. Faith is not a leap in the dark. Rather, it is the ability to believe that God is and that He rewards those who seek Him.

Paul was on a ship headed for Rome. However, a storm threatened the ship and the men on board. Paul had warned them to stay in Crete, but the sailors decided they would go anyway. This decision plunged them into the midst of grave danger.

In the night, God spoke to Paul. Paul was calm. He spoke calmly to the rest of the people on the ship.

Yet now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. For this very night there stood before me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, and he said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar. And behold, God has granted you all those who sail with you.’ So take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told. But we must run aground on some island. (Acts 27:22–26)
Faith knew that events would unfold as God said, even exactly as He said. Paul knew what God said, believed Him because He is God, and that knowledge plus faith produced comfort and peace in his heart.

Faith is like that. It produces peace in my heart and an ability to be calm and think in a level-headed manner. Whenever I get in a flap about something, God often gives me a nudge from His Word. Sometimes His reminders come to mind as if He is speaking inside my head. He tells me over and over not to worry, that He is still on the throne and that He has not forgotten me. In this, I experience peace, even joy.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:4–7)
Joy and peace are the by-products of faith. Faith just knows that God is true and His power is exercised for my good. As these verses say about peace, this knowing seems to surpass all understanding. Whatever is happening that causes the anxiety in the first place has not changed a bit. What changes is my response to it — because God turns my mind from the problem toward His grace, power and love. That makes faith rational. When life seems out of control, it makes perfect sense to trust God who is all powerful, loves me with an everlasting love, and keeps His promises.
*****************
Lord, sometimes You bestow increased faith as a sovereign act of grace when I need it. Sometimes I’ve come to You asking for help as my ability to trust You begins to lag. Either way, You are quick to respond. You remind me who You are and that nothing is too difficult for You. You reaffirm to me that no matter what is giving me stress, it is under Your control. Trusting You brings peace and joy, even the ability to think calmly and rationally. For this I am grateful.

No comments: