April 27, 2011

All of my ambitions . . .

When Jeremiah was the prophet in Israel, he had a scribe named Baruch. This young man took the prophet’s words from God to the authorities and was in just as much danger as Jeremiah because those words were not popular or well-received. God was judging the land and disaster would happen. Baruch didn’t want it to happen to him, but through Jeremiah, God gave him words too. 
Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, to you, O Baruch: You said, ‘Woe is me! For the LORD has added sorrow to my pain. I am weary with my groaning, and I find no rest.’ Thus shall you say to him, Thus says the LORD: Behold, what I have built I am breaking down, and what I have planted I am plucking up—that is, the whole land. And do you seek great things for yourself? Seek them not, for behold, I am bringing disaster upon all flesh, declares the LORD. But I will give you your life as a prize of war in all places to which you may go. (Jeremiah 45:2–5)
In Baruch’s situation, this message was intended to produce a response of faith. God was going to overthrow what He had built and uproot what He had planted, but the realities of this judgment against the nation clashed with Baruch’s personal aspirations. Instead of being sad that he didn’t “have it all” Baruch should have been thankful that God gave him great responsibility. He should have rejoiced that he had been spared and would escape with his life in the midst of the calamities all around him. But he wanted more, and God told him not to seek great things for himself.

I’m not in the midst of a great calamity like Baruch. Some might argue that God is judging the world with earthquakes, floods, financial upheaval and so on, yet I don’t feel part of that like this man was part of what was happening in his nation. However, the words “Do not seek great things for yourself” resonate in my heart. My hopes and desires in any situation are to be fixed firmly on God, not personal desire, comfort or ambition.

This is a warning to me. I’ve always been an ambitious person with all kinds of ideas to “make the world a better place” yet mixed with visions of my own grandeur. God has often knocked me off my perch and pointed out that what I do is for His glory, not mine.

He did it this week. I wanted to tell someone about a new opportunity that was obviously from God. Yet in my heart was a pride that I had been chosen for this task. As I started to talk, an interruption happened and the listener was distracted. I stopped talking and waited, but the conversation never came back to my story. At first, I was ticked at what I interpreted as rudeness, but the Holy Spirit quickly brought to mind that God orchestrated this to prevent me from boasting. He was not going to allow me to sin by making this new venture about me instead of about Him.

*****************
Lord, You truly are my Savior, even at times when I blunder on and do not notice that I need saving. I’ve prayed about ambition and having a selfish focus. I’ve sung Robin Mark’s song, “All for Jesus” and thought I meant the words, “Jesus, all for Jesus, all I am and have and ever hope to be . . . all of my ambitions, hopes and plans I surrender these into Your hands.”

You know what to do to make that happen. The least I can do is be more cooperative.

No comments: