March 13, 2011

Only one place to rest

When the rain stopped, Noah determined a way to find out if the water had dried up sufficiently for him, his family and the animals to leave the ark. He sent a raven, perhaps to look for carrion. It came back. He then sent a dove.
But the dove found no place to set her foot, and she returned to him to the ark, for the waters were still on the face of the whole earth. So he put out his hand and took her and brought her into the ark with him. (Genesis 8:9)
Spurgeon likens the dove to a believer who has gone out into the world. Since the sinful world is under the judgment of God, there is no place of rest so the dove returns to the Master. However, the effort to find a resting place has overwhelmed this bird. She reaches the ark but the Master has to reach out and bring her in.

This is a picture of my heavenly Father’s care for me. I’m not often out in the cursed world where I encounter all that God has already judged. However, when I am, it is easy to relate to the fatigue of the dove. Not only is there no rest in this sinful world, those who seek it become a burden to my heart.

I can also relate to the care of Noah, pictured as her Master and her salvation. At times it feels as if I have no strength to get back with Jesus. For the dove, this was a physical fatigue. For me, it is spiritual. The battle to find a place of rest apart from Jesus brings me to great weariness. There is no peace, no rest, at least none that lasts, unless I am with my Savior.

*****

Lord, I’m thankful for the ark of my salvation. Because of Jesus Christ, I do not fear the judgment due me; He has taken it all. Yet You sometimes put me in places where I see thousands still in “the valley of decision” and my heart becomes burdened for them. Like the throngs who wanted to hear Jesus, they are sheep without a shepherd. Many are unaware of the danger they are in, and unaware of Your provision for their rescue. Yet I cannot change their hearts. Do I warn them? What do You want from me? You send me out to see what is going on and like the dove, I come fluttering back to You, resting until You ask me to go again.

No comments: