March 20, 2011

Love’s standard

Human love is far from perfect, but that doesn’t mean God left us without an example. 
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her, that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that He might present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. (Ephesians 5:25–27)
Women sometimes think the Bible picks on us, but these verses are just as challenging for our spouses as the instructions for wives are for me. Jesus is the standard for both of us.

His love for His people is first sacrificial. He died for us. No love is greater than giving up your life for the eternal well-being of others. This is made more amazing in that He knew that many of the people He died for would reject Him and spurn His love for them. But He did it anyway, because He loves us.

His love is purposeful. He knows what is best for us, that we belong to God and are cleansed from sin, made holy and without flaws. Human love is rarely that selfless and certainly challenged by His godly desire for the highest and best for others.

The love of Jesus is also special, set on His bride, the church. He said things like, “I pray for them, I pray not for the world” which shows how much He favors His beloved. As Spurgeon says, the church is His treasure, the crown of His head, the bracelet of His arm, the breastplate of His heart, the very centre and core of His love.

Christ’s love is also constant. His affection never varies. He may change the way He displays it, but it remains full, rich, deep. This mighty love endures. As the Bible says, “nothing shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

His love is passionate, intense, not mere lip-service. He proved it on Calvary and continues to prove it as He cares for us. He lives forever, interceding for us and waiting for that day when we will spend eternity with Him.



*****

Lord, I fall short. My love gets messed up with selfishness, lack of focus, and concerns for other treasures. I’m on and off, not constant and enduring as You are. Yet You persist in Your love for me, patiently setting the example and standard that I need.

I know also that when I love You without thinking of my own wants or needs, You are delighted — not for Your own sake, but because I have discovered this most wonderful way to live. Help me learn. It is a long journey from self-seeking, and that I-want-what-I-want infancy to the maturity of being able to love like You do. Keep putting me back on track. Teach me to cooperate with Your Spirit. Keep me. Help me abide in You that I might please You by my love.

No comments: