March 12, 2011

Love your enemies

The measure of my Christian commitment is how I treat my enemies. I have to think about that. Who are my enemies? I’ve no one shooting at me, or trying to rob me. I suppose people out there might try to do me harm, but I don’t know their names.

Canadians are noted for being polite and keeping their thoughts to themselves (in general) so those who really dislike me are not apt to tell me, at least to my face. Dislike isn’t quite as harsh as hatred, but I still have no names.

Perhaps the idea of enemies is not from their perspective but mine. Who are the people that I consider opponents? Anyone who mocks what I believe? People who think God does not exist? Those who use the name of Jesus in profanity? Those who abuse children? Or women? Or each other? People who have no concern for the earth, their belongings, or the rights of others? People who do not love You?

Jesus says none of this negativity comes from Him, not their sinful and selfish traits nor my response of hatred or mere dislike. 

You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:43–48)
God’s standard is high. He wants me to be perfect as He is perfect. While this encompasses much more, this passage alone shows that His perfection means that He loves His enemies. He prays for those who dismiss Him or ignore Him or disobey Him and treat Him as if He does not matter. He is as good to them as He is to the people who love and worship Him.

The enemies of God are greeted each morning by the sunrise, just as I am. They are given rain for their crops and the marvel of growth for their harvest. They are given children and laughter, means to earn a living and possessions for their comfort. They know love and kindness. They can smile because God is good to everyone.

Yes, there are disasters and trials in life, but God does not withhold blessings unless He has a better blessing in mind. Because of His perfection, He is able to do this. Because of my imperfections, I have no idea how to follow Him in this; so for me, I am to simply love everyone as He loves them, and not try to figure out what God is doing with trials and trouble in their lives.



*****

Lord, the world is huge and its population in the billions. That You know and love each individual staggers me. Hundreds of babies are born each day; hundreds of people die each hour, and You love each of them. I am amazed at Your intimate knowledge. You know the number of hairs on each head.

Even more amazing is the size of Your heart. Your love is as great for the most evil terrorist as it is for the most godly saint. Yes, You see one wrapped in darkness and sin and the other covered by the blood of Christ, yet it is the same Christ that died for both. And He died for them and for me because You love us. No one is denied the opportunity of trusting Jesus and receiving eternal life.

I know that I’ve a long way to go to love like You do. Allow me to see Your love, to know more of what it is like, to grasp the length and breadth and depth of it, and to express it to others, even my enemies.

No comments: