March 22, 2011

Hope that changes grief

When Irene’s husband died, I’d been a believer for only a few months. She was my first mentor, and I’d not yet read this verse about mourning. 
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. (1 Thessalonians 4:13)
Irene had been married many years. As she stood with her back to us at her husband’s grave, she leaned over as if she would jump in and join him. For weeks, I had pondered my safety in submitting myself to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. I worried that God would ask me to do things that I would not like or could not handle. Whatever would I do should death take someone I loved? I knew the grief of losing my grandparents as a youngster. Would Jesus spare me from those trials? I agonized for Irene also. She had lost her precious Bill.

However, Irene dispelled all my fears. When she turned around, I was stunned. Her face was radiant and I knew instantly that this joy was from Jesus. He gave it to her — even in this!

Talking afterward, she shared how much she missed Bill. Of course she was not glad that he died, but she said, “Whenever I grieve, I realize that it is not for him. He is with Jesus. I’m just feeling sorry for myself.”

Since then, I’ve observed how other Christians respond to death with sorrow, yet joy is also present. We know that the ones we love are with Jesus. When my father died, the comments offered by others gave me insight into what they thought about death. Many offered sympathy to me for my “loss” but the most comforting words came from a young woman known for her enthusiasm. She almost bounced as she came to me and said, “I know this is supposed to be a sad time, but I’m so happy for your dad!”

Jesus must have smiled. Those words still fill me with joy. Oddly, the young woman who uttered them says she cannot remember saying them, making me fairly certain that Jesus put those words in her mouth. Because of them, every time I think about my dad, I feel joined arm-in-arm with Irene.

Celebration at a Christian funeral is possible only because we know our eternal destiny. We know we will see our loved ones again. When Jesus prayed to His Father, He said,

Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. (John 17:24)
Because of the love of God, because Jesus died for our sins, and because God has given us to Jesus, Christians have assurance that we will be where He is when we die. I know this for myself. I know it for all who believe in Jesus. It isn’t “pie in the sky” but a promise from the Son of God, and the desire of His heart.
*****
Lord, I sit here with tears, not because I am sad but because I am filled with joy. Death is the end of life here, but not the end of life. You promised, 
In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. (John 14:2–3).
I believe You, and I know that this promise is for all who have put their faith in You, including my dad, my mom, Irene and her husband and many, many brothers and sisters in Christ. Being with You is our sure hope and our glorious destiny.

Today, when I think about the ordinary chores and stuff of life, thoughts of eternity with You lift my heart — and the corners of my mouth. Sometimes life here can be very humdrum, or even a “sad time” but because of You and the assurance of eternal life, today I am very happy.

No comments: