March 8, 2011

He is my engine

The covers have changed but the popularity of this book remains. We faltering humans love stories that encourage us to keep going. (Photo: Little Engine that Could)

I thought of this book while reading this passage about Paul. He is on his first missionary journey, but received a mixed reception in Lystra. The common people wanted to worship him as a god, and the Jews had other ideas. 

But Jews came from Antioch and Iconium, and having persuaded the crowds, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing that he was dead. But when the disciples gathered about him, he rose up and entered the city, and on the next day he went on with Barnabas to Derbe. When they had preached the gospel to that city and had made many disciples, they returned to Lystra and to Iconium and to Antioch, strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God. And when they had appointed elders for them in every church, with prayer and fasting they committed them to the Lord in whom they had believed. (Acts 14:19–23)
Paul was often on the receiving end of persecution, but like the little engine that could, he didn’t let that slow or stop him. After being stoned and left for dead, he should be the one that needed encouragement, but he encouraged others. He told them that tribulation was their lot in life before they entered that final resting place in God’s kingdom. They needed to keep trusting God and move on.

Sometimes “kingdom of God” refers to the sphere of God’s rule over the hearts of His people. In these verses, it appears to be that final kingdom where God rules, the kingdom of heaven. My devotional reading for today takes this view, and points out that Christians should not expect to escape troubles. God created heaven as our reward, not a carefree life here on earth.

I need to continually remind myself that this is true. I want comfort. I want God to answer all my prayers and make life continually filled with good things. This is not only unrealistic, but misses the whole purpose of trials.

Tough times are opportunities to find out what I am made of, and what God is like. In trials, I discover my flaws and lack of faith, but also that God’s grace is sufficient. He carries me. Not only that, I learn perseverance, persistence, faithfulness and that nothing can separate me from the love of Christ.

The total storyline in the book about the little train engine escapes me. All I can remember is that each obstacle was met with a positive attitude. Unfortunately, the book was all about “I think I can” instead of God being the power to meet and overcome obstacles. For me, I want the grace and power of God displayed as the source of my ability to rise above all opposition. This is not about me. Any victories I have are because Christ lives in me. Without Him as my “engine” and the One doing the work, I am unable to do anything.

No comments: