March 1, 2011

Exalted and humbled

The first “famous” person that I met was a country and western singer. My sister and I were fans and our dad let us go backstage after a show for autographs and photos. Since then, I’ve met more famous people, enough of them to know that each has a talent or a heritage that gives them notoriety, but otherwise, they are ordinary people. They have good points and flaws. Some are pleasant to be around and others are snooty and vain. Being famous does not automatically put anyone a cut above the rest of the population.

That being said, I read these verses and they make me stand a little taller. This is God telling me who I am.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. (1 Peter 2:9–10)
Lord, You have chosen me. Me, a very ordinary person. You have made me a member of the royal priesthood; that is, I have the privilege and responsibility of interceding for others in prayer. Amazing for someone who once thought only of herself.

I am also part of Your holy nation, people You have created (actually recreated) for Yourself. This is awesome. You have made me into a new person, changed me and keep changing me. I also have the incredible charge to tell everyone about You, the most excellent God who called me out of darkness into Your light. Wow!

Then You bring me back down to earth with the next words. Once I did not belong to You. I was a lost sinner, self-indulgent and rebellious against You. I knew nothing of grace or Your love. Now I know that I’m only in this place because of Your mercy. Mercy means getting what is not deserved, and I know what I deserved — eternal punishment for my sin.

Thank You for reminding me of both these things. I often say that only God can give His people a big hug and a solid kick in the pride — at the same time. You did it in two verses.

No comments: