March 19, 2011

Connected by Faith

Today’s morning reading from Spurgeon says that faith is the only way by which I can obtain blessings from God. Even prayer cannot draw answers from His throne unless they are uttered by a person who believes. But believes what?

Faith is not thinking God will do whatever I ask. Instead, biblical faith is knowing that God exists, being certain that He hears and cares, and having assurance that when I pray, He will send the best answer. His responses are always according to His promises, not according to my desires and whims.

Abraham is called the father of faith. God promised him a son, and even though this man grew beyond the age where most could father a child, Abraham still believed that promise.

No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification. (Romans 4:20–25)
Spurgeon says faith is like a telegraph wire that links earth and heaven. On this wire, God’s messages fly so fast that before we call He answers, and while we are yet speaking He hears us. If that wire of faith is broken, I cannot receive His promises. However, when I am in trouble and trust Him, He sends help on the wire of faith. If faith wavers or is missing, I call to God in vain.

Of course faith is first about knowing God exists. “Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6).

Faith is next about trusting His plan for salvation, not trying to earn or deserve it on my own. He offers forgiveness and eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ and His death for my sin. He offers Himself and new life. Faith is relying on Jesus for peace with God.

Faith after that is about living in continued trust in all things, including prayer. When I pray, I need to trust Him to hear and answer my prayers, which are often requests. I tell God my needs and trust Him to supply.

But sometimes I catch myself telling God what to do when I pray. This is not faith in God but faith in my ideas and plans. It is also impertinence to think that I can give Him orders. No wonder these prayers seem to bounce off the ceiling.



*****

Thank you, Lord, for this reminder. The needs out there are great and my prayer list is long. Instead of focusing on what I should pray, I need to first remember that I am talking to You — Almighty God, the sovereign Ruler of the universe. You can do anything. No problem is too difficult. You also love me and will do what is best for me and for Your people. I don’t have to tell You what to do. Faith trusts You to do what is right.

No comments: