February 10, 2011

The tests of poverty and riches

When Christ came into my life, I was recently divorced, without a regular income, had two little children and a farm to take care of, and was rapidly learning how to make do with very little. Through this, God taught me that He was going to take care of my financial well-being too.

For instance, in the sermon on the mount, Jesus told His listeners that God cared about sparrows and the lilies of the field. If He cares about that which is here today and gone tomorrow, He cares so much more for His own. 

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (Matthew 6:31–33)
During those very lean years, God had me spend a great deal of time in His Word. He used it and my circumstance to teach me much about the value of poverty. Even after I remarried, together we had very little. I made night tables from cardboard boxes and tried not to waste anything. Yet God always made sure I had what I needed.

After ten years or so, God called my husband into His family and he became a Christian. One of the first things God taught him was that He is his resource and could be depended upon to take care of his needs too. He experienced amazing things. For instance, each time he increased his giving at church, he afterward received a raise at work. Together we learned that we cannot out-give God.

Paul wrote about this test of trusting God in hunger and in need, but there is another test in what he had to say.

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11–13)
The second test is learning to live with plenty, even abundance. Obviously, the cares and riches of this world are enough to draw people away from Christ. In the parable of the soils, the seed (Word of God) that was planted among thorns (the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches) choked the Word so that it bore no fruit. Paul also wrote in 1 Timothy 6 that the love of money is the root of all evil.

The author of Proverbs knew the dangers too. He asked, “Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny You and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God” (Proverbs 30:8-9).

One danger of being blessed with plenty is thinking I can get whatever I want without relying on You. Another danger is turning my attention to the baubles of the world and neglecting my relationship with You.

You have taught me so much or I never could pass both ends of this teetering test. My sinful human heart cannot be needy or wealthy. When I was poor, had I not known Christ, I shudder to think what I might have done. Now, with more than adequate resources, You continue to keep my priorities in order. You show me others with great needs and direct me to bless them. You draw me again and again into Your Word. You have taught me to hate even a moment out of fellowship with You.

Perhaps first being poor makes the second test easier, yet with Christ, those who lose all they have will still find You faithful. You ask me to pray for my daily bread, but you continually remind me that I cannot “live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”

No comments: