February 20, 2011

Purging heart and home

Perhaps getting old makes me notice how many of my possessions are worthless, at least to me. As I work in my home, I notice items that have not been used in a year, five years, maybe ten. Friday, I found a box of Chinese tea that we once liked, but it hasn’t been opened since 1978!

Today, my hubby and I sorted Christmas ornaments. We put half of them in giveaway boxes. Yesterday we packed up a knitting machine and all its accessories to ship to a dear lady in Ontario who can hardly wait for this 72 pounds of equipment that I haven’t used for more than twenty years.

I am finding homes for my books, perhaps the most difficult to part with. However, many are “read once” books and I’m certain that someone else needs that experience. A few are duplicates. It is a sad thing to have so many books that I forget what I have and buy the same thing twice.

I’m not sure what the psalmist had in mind when he prayed about worthless things, maybe more overtly sinful stuff, but I relate to his prayer.

Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. (Psalm 119:36–37)
Had this writer been living today, nothing much would change in what he asks God for. Selfish gain is still a problem, particularly in our society and even for many Christians. Looking at worthless things is also still a problem, only today it could include television, movies and the Internet. Not all are without value, but much of it is.

I’ve wasted hours of my life on worthless things like Pac Man and Tetris (when we had an Atari) and Spider Solitaire. Some might say everyone needs a little R&R now and then, but I know when I’m procrastinating or avoiding work. I’ve learned that even the simplest computer games can distract me unless they are completely removed from my computer.

The psalmist had to ask the Lord to turn his eyes from worthless things. He wanted his heart inclined toward the words of God and to have life in God’s ways. He had to ask because these are things we cannot do ourselves. Without Jesus, I might be able to say no to three hours of Minesweeper, but I know that I will not pick up my Bible without motivation from Him. I also know that I will never spend that three hours doing something that has eternal value unless the Spirit of God gives me the idea as well as the impetus and ability to do it.

I also ask You to incline my heart, turn my eyes and give me life. Without You, my heart tips, but in the wrong direction. Without You, my eyes gaze on useless things, or just glaze over and simply shut. And without You, I have no life, at least nothing that will last.

Thank You, Jesus, for the gift of eternal life, for Your power to avert my eyes and my attention, and for motivation to replace the worthless stuff that I do not need to see or have — so that I might concentrate on looking at You.

No comments: