February 6, 2011

Intervention or Intercession?

Today I witnessed a fellow Christian being powerfully used by God, then within a few minutes act like a sanctimonious and self-righteous jerk. At first, I was angry. Then I thought about myself and how easy it is to “tip over” and walk in the flesh instead of in the Spirit.

Christians do that. It is confusing for us, never mind for those who observe. How can someone be like Jesus one minute and then pile on the holier-than-thou attitude soon after? It is usually pride that tips me over. I realize that I just hit a home run, and instead of acknowledging that God was holding the bat, I start thinking, “Look what I did” and lose the power of the Holy Spirit.

For a little while, I wondered what to do about this person. Galatians 6:1 says if I see someone overcome by a sin, I’m supposed to correct them, considering myself because I could also be tempted. If this is what God wants me to do, I need to be absolutely certain before doing it. So I asked You, Lord God to show me. You gave me the answer in the reading for tonight and the Scripture that goes with it.

And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit. My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. (James 5:15–20)
Instead of focusing on a sick person who needs healing, I also see in these verses instruction to pray for someone who has committed sins. In some way this person has wandered from the truth and has a need to be brought back. It might require a confrontation or intervention, but before that, the biggest need is intercession.

Spurgeon says that intercessory prayer is the “sweetest God ever hears” for this is like the prayer of Christ. He “ever lives to intercede for us” (Hebrews 7:25).

When Jesus prays, none of what He says is for Himself. All of what He asks is the most acceptable prayer to You, His Father. Obviously, the more my praying is like His praying, the more precious those prayers will be in Your ears.

I cannot pray like Jesus apart from the Holy Spirit who lives in me and prays through me. My prayers can be too often full of what I want or what I think You should do. However, I know when You fill me with Your Spirit and give me Your words and motivations, my petitions rise quickly to Your throne. You hear and answer.

Spurgeon rightly says that when I have Your ear, I need to speak to You about the suffering members of Your body. This might be those who suffer with illness or other needs, yet prayer must also be offered for anyone whose fleshy character traits rise up and interfere with their ability to consistently walk with You.

Perhaps You want a direct approach at times, but I know myself. I am most inclined toward that when I am most filled with my own motivations and desires. When I want someone fixed and try to fix it, my efforts never work.

The principles of obedience and submission to You are teaching me to pray first. You are also teaching me a safe prayer, one that requires sincerity — I must mean it — yet You answer it every time. 

“Lord, if you want this (whatever it is) in my experience (or in the experience of someone else) and have a good purpose for it, then give me a meek heart and a submissive spirit so I can accept this as Your will. If not, then You know what to do with this thing that seems wrong to me. I leave it in Your care, knowing that nothing is too difficult for You.”

No comments: