February 9, 2011

His great patience

For many years I have been such a slow learner. Each time a problem comes, You continue, patiently and with great grace, telling me that I must ask You for guidance and direction. You make this promise . . . 
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle, or it will not stay near you. (Psalm 32:8–9)
But I am like the mule, stubbornly determined to try things my way. Without Your bit and bridle, I wander off, forgetting my ignorance, past failures, and how incredibly clever You are. I try to do so many things without giving You a thought. I might ask your blessing, but I’ve already planned my strategy.

Then I go into it with great confidence and fall flat on my swelled head. Only then do I ask You for help. This is an insult to the God of all creation and the Master of all creativity and power.

David knew better. He asked and success came. Then the same problem came at him a second time. Did he do as I do? Did he think that he now knew how to solve that problem so he didn’t have to ask you the second time?

And David inquired of the LORD, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?” And the LORD said to David, “Go up, for I will certainly give the Philistines into your hand.” And David came to Baal-perazim, and David defeated them there. And he said, “The LORD has burst through my enemies before me like a bursting flood”. . . .  And the Philistines came up yet again and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim. And when David inquired of the LORD, He said, “You shall not go up; go around to their rear, and come against them opposite the balsam trees. And when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, then rouse yourself, for then the LORD has gone out before you to strike down the army of the Philistines.” And David did as the LORD commanded him, and struck down the Philistines from Geba to Gezer. (2 Samuel 5:19–25, italics mine)
Same problems — victory both times, but a different strategy both times. You know that no matter how alike two challenges may appear, each one requires a unique solution.

But that really isn’t the issue. The issue is learning how to bring each challenge to You – every time. It does not matter what it is. And deeper than that, the very bottom line issue is pride — that sinful attitude that has me thinking that I know more than, better than You. 

The king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength. The war horse is a false hope for salvation, and by its great might it cannot rescue. Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His steadfast love, that He may deliver their soul from death and keep them alive in famine. My soul waits for the LORD; He is my help and my shield. For my heart is glad in Him, because I trust in His holy name. Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon me, even as I hope in You. (Psalm 33:16–22, personalized)
Clipart credit

No comments: