February 7, 2011

Beyond the River

Today I felt rushed, a pressure nagging me that the hours will never be enough to do all that needs to be done. Life will be over too soon. This nagging is subtle, sometimes not recognized even as it stirs me or causes inertia.

While feeling “not done yet” the phone rang. It was my older brother. He tends to see the worst in most things and was going that direction when I said something about life being too short. Soon after, I mentioned how much I missed Mom and Dad. He said he did too, especially when funny things happened. He wanted to tell them. (We laughed a lot in our home.) Then we started talking about childhood memories and soon we were laughing so that we could understand only snatches of what the other was saying.

I wanted to write all of it, remember it forever. Will we? Maybe? Maybe the things of earth will fade away but God will let us keep our happy times. I hope so.

After the phone call, I opened my devotional book asking God to say to me whatever He wants me to hear tonight. This is the verse that came to my ears and my heart, along with snatches from Spurgeon’s words.

Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here!” And they went up to heaven in a cloud, and their enemies watched them. (Revelation 11:12)
Someday, sooner now than ever, that message will come to me. You, God, will ask me to rise from my home, my city, my family and friends. You will say it is time to take my final journey.

When I travel, I can use maps and books and the Internet to inform me of my destination. However, there is only a little that I know about the last destination. Your Word says only a little. The Holy Spirit gives me very small hints. I know that I must cross the river called Death, but after that I cannot guess except that scenes of wonder will unfold and I will experience eternal delight.

However, death itself is not a pleasant thought. I am not excited about the trials of life ahead either, of aging, of failing faculties. No one wants to be weak or sick or unable. Yet You tell me that I can walk that shadowy river bank without fear. You will be with me and You will be taking me to a far better place, Your eternal home. I need to think more about what is beyond the river than the river itself.

This verse from Revelation has a prophetical significance, but it is also Your invitation to Your people. My fleshy response to that last journey is always negative. Apart from Your promises, I tend to have that sense of not being finished here. But if I yield to Your Spirit, then my heart fills with joyful anticipation. You are not calling me to the grave, but to Yourself, to my eternal rest with You.

Another thought from Spurgeon — I cannot know or guess my departure date. You know best when to call me home. You know how to keep me from having regrets, to focus my thoughts on the privileges You have granted rather than the opportunities that I have missed. You point me also to the joy of sin being no more. There, I will be able to perfectly commune with You and worship You.

Today, I trust You to plan my days. I thank you for the pleasant memories and laughter of days gone by, and for calling me to serve You; a most gracious gift. Thank You for giving perspective to those nagging notions as the enemy tries to discourage me. You always know the words that I need to hear. For that, I bless You and love You with all my heart.

No comments: