February 8, 2011

Beautiful Words

Robert Beard’s list of the 100 most beautiful words in English includes love, but not mother. He leaves out one of my favorites – holiness, and Jesus didn’t make this list either.

A British survey listed these top ten: Mother, Passion, Smile, Love, Eternity, Fantastic, Destiny, Freedom, Liberty and Tranquillity, all great words, but Jesus and holiness are not there either.

One source says these lists are based on a unique combination of vowel and consonant sounds, coupled with a nuanced or associative meaning of a word. Together this produces an “aesthetically satisfying phonologic harmony and musicality.” Yet none of the lists that I could find included Jesus or holiness

For those who know Him, the name Jesus is the most beautiful name if not the most beautiful word. While other languages use other words for His name, many of them have a similar sound. Yet it isn’t merely the sound. It is all that His name implies. John begins his gospel by saying that Jesus is the Word of God made flesh. Matthew tells how He was named and why . . . 
She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins. (Matthew 1:21)
The word Jesus means “Jehovah saves” and that is exactly what Jesus does. He secured salvation for me by dying on the Cross for my sin. I am forgiven.

Knowing that God has forgiven my sin is wonderful. “To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.” (Acts 10:43)

However, knowing that He is saving me from sin is even more incredible. If it were a traffic ticket, forgiveness could still carry the black cloud that some day that judge could change his mind, but if someone paid the fine, then I am free.

Jesus paid my fine.

Because of Him and the power of His name, sin has no power to separate me from God and send me to hell. But Jesus does more than that. He jumps in the car and works to keep me from speeding again. He takes charge (as I learn to let Him) and changes my wild, erratic driving into what it ought to be. Sin is loses its power to govern my thoughts, words and actions.

Spurgeon says, “If your life is unholy your heart is unchanged, and if your heart is unchanged you are an unsaved person. If the Savior has not sanctified you, renewed you, given you a hatred of sin and a love of holiness, he has done nothing in you of a saving character. . . . Christ saves his people, not in their sins, but from them.”

From is a word about separation, a removal word. I am removed from what I used to be as God removes sin from my life. Yet His work is not only subtraction, but also addition. He pours into me His Holy Spirit, enabling me to be holy. This cannot happen without my cooperation, but neither will it happen by my own effort.

As lovely as the word holiness is, apart from Christ I will resist it, yet God tells me to strive for holiness. Without it, “no one will see the Lord” (Hebrews 12:14). I cannot be holy without Jesus. Making me holy is part of His transforming work. As I call on His name, His beautiful name, He purifies my heart. This is why His name is so lovely. He, in the power of His name, does what no one else can do. 
He sent redemption to his people; He has commanded His covenant forever. Holy and awesome is His name! (Psalm 111:9)

No comments: