January 17, 2011

Rest from my labor

Today the idea of my main work was again reinforced. Lord, You care about the other things that I do — caring for family, time with friends, cooking and cleaning, the writing that I do, even my artistic endeavors. You want me to be a good influence by living a holy and obedient life. You move me to be involved in my church and I do not feel complete unless I’m teaching in Your name and for You.

However, the task You put at the top of my list again and again is prayer. This is my main work and I’m to give it my all. Yet I must confess that I have not prayed this past couple of weeks the same as I normally do. We are on holidays. I took a break.

Pulling back was not a good idea. Sigh. Instead of this allowing me to feel more rested (after all, I was not “working” so hard), I have felt more fatigued, even emptied. Today I fully occupied myself with my work and came away from that with more energy than I’ve had for many days. How interesting that You give me this verse tonight.

So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (Hebrews 4:9)
Hebrews 4 is about believers ceasing from our efforts in the same way that You did after You created the world. While it hints at the rest we experience when we quit trying to earn our salvation, it is mostly about that future rest which we will experience when we enter eternity.

The devotional thoughts from this verse are expressed in a language from another era, but when I read them, my heart said “yes” and I want to write the same thoughts in my own words . . .  

How different will be my state in heaven from what it is here on earth. Here I am given Your life that I might work as You ask. I do suffer weariness, but there in that eternal home, fatigue is totally unknown. On earth, I am anxious to serve You, yet my strength is totally unequal to my zeal. I constantly ask You, “Help me serve You, O my God.”

At times, I become so occupied in Your work that my energy falters. I become exhausted with the labor. Yet I know that this too shall pass. Just as the sun nears the horizon in the west, my life is nearer to its end. Even so, I will rise again on a brighter day than I have ever seen before, a day where I will be at rest. Here, You sometimes allow times of refreshing, but that rest is partial. In heaven, my rest will be perfect.

So much of life here brings a sense of distress because there is no end to what needs to be done. I feel as if I am never finished and even if I can check off one chore, there is that sense that I’ve never quite achieved or finished. Yet eternity will bring rest. I will be at the top of the mountain, even in the loving arms of my Heavenly Father. I cannot go higher nor achieve anything greater.

This is the rest that remains. All the work will be done, but also all the worries, concerns, burdens and pressures will be over. Nothing rusts or fades or withers there. My eyes will see perfectly.  My voice will be certain and strong. My heart will never waver. My worship will be perfect. My faith will be sight.

Oh, thank You for reminding me to keep looking forward. There is that great and happy day ahead — when mortality is swallowed up with life and perfect rest begins.

No comments: