January 19, 2011

Open minds

A young girl told me that to be saved she must do good works. I opened a Bible and asked her to read these verses out loud:
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Ephesians 2:8–9)
After she read it, I asked her, “According to these verses what does a person have to do to be saved?”

She replied, “They must do good works.”


Oh Father, at that time I knew that spiritual blindness is a reality, yet I was surprised at her inability to see the black and white words of these verses from Ephesians. Even after she said them herself, she did not understand, and in fact thought they said the opposite.

Tonight’s devotional reading is about the need for a change in a sinner’s brain. I can remember reading and reading the Bible, daily and for many years. It didn’t make any sense at all. After You came into my life, something happened. Instead of a dark and obscure book, the Bible changed. But it was not the book that changed, it was You changing me, just as these verses describe.

Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. (Luke 24:45)
Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. (Psalm 119:18)
One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul. (Acts 16:14)
Not only do You open Scripture, You also open minds. While You can use preachers and Your disciples to speak Your Word, even explain Your Word, not one of us can open the minds of those who listen. Only You can do that.

Even the best of speakers and teachers can engage the ears, the mind, even the emotions and will, but You alone can open the deepest part — the human spirit. You even give sinners a hunger for truth. No one has to be a scholar or experienced in Bible study to grasp what You are saying when You open their understanding. No matter who it is, that is exactly what happens; they understand You.

Spurgeon says, “How many men of profound learning are ignorant of eternal things” and I say “Many!” I’ve heard of people who memorize great portions of this great Book yet have no idea what it means. Many children and uneducated people know more about You than those with doctorates or who call themselves theologians.

Yet such was my situation before You entered my life. I was utterly blind to truth, to You. If it were not for Your great love, I would have remained in that darkness and ignorance. If You did not open my spiritual understanding, I could not grasp anything of Your will and Your ways.

It is in Your classroom and at Your feet that spiritual knowledge is not only imparted but received, understood and believed. This is grace and a wondrous thing. Again, while I have proudly thought at times that I have done something, I know that You swing the bat and You sing the song. You are the hand in the glove, the One who imparts to my heart all that You want me to know.

No comments: