January 13, 2011

Making plans

A January vacation is a great time to think about what I should be doing for the rest of the year, even the rest of my life. Sometimes I wish You would lay it out for me, even insert Your plan for my life in Outlook and I could just follow it. Instead, I’ve been praying for direction from Your Word.

Today’s devotional reading selects an unusual passage. It is about a leader in Judah who tried to emulate Solomon’s fleet of ships and even his wealth. His plans didn’t work.

Jehoshaphat made ships of Tarshish to go to Ophir for gold, but they did not go, for the ships were wrecked at Ezion-geber. (1 Kings 22:48)
Another passage gives a bit more information about why Jehoshaphat could not do what he wanted to do.
Then Eliezer the son of Dodavahu of Mareshah prophesied against Jehoshaphat, saying, “Because you have joined with Ahaziah, the LORD will destroy what you have made.” And the ships were wrecked and were not able to go to Tarshish. (2 Chronicles 20:37)
God providentially allowed Solomon to prosper, but Jehoshaphat made an alliance unapproved by God and his efforts were fruitless. This is a good lesson. One of Your people can succeed and another fail in what looks like identical ventures, but unless a plan is undertaken according to Your direction, it will not come to pass.

I’ve often said that Your work needs to be done Your way, but as I read this, I’m thinking all work outside of “official” ministry also needs to be done in Your way. You do not bless selfishly motivated personal plans any more that You would bless deceit in the church, dishonesty in business, or a life of crime.

Although I teach a class at Family Bible School, and do other things that You have given me as ministry, I have many interests. These do not require all my time, so I need to make decisions about how to use the rest of it. I know I need to be available to the Holy Spirit, but also know that it is not wise to sit and twiddle my thumbs while waiting to hear from You.


Jehoshaphat’s motive to get rich overruled his desire to obey You. However, he learned his lesson. When the king of Israel asked him to join him again, he would not do it.
Then Ahaziah the son of Ahab said to Jehoshaphat, “Let my servants go with your servants in the ships,” but Jehoshaphat was not willing. (1 Kings 22:49)
I don’t know if this man had a verse of Scripture over his desk as a guide, but You gave one to me for this year. It tells me that when I make plans I also need to look at my motives too. Those watching me might not be able to see the subtle ways I am tempted, but You do. For that, You gave me this to help me plan my use of time. 
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourself. Look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:3–4)
Jehoshaphat failed one test, but he was generally a good leader. I know that I will make mistakes and trip over my own selfishness, but I also know that You will use even my mistakes to help me to learn to be more like Jesus.

No comments: