January 31, 2011

Joy in the journey

Today was a good day. For each task and challenge, I asked the Lord to give me wisdom and whatever else I needed to do it in a way that pleases Him. He did that, helping me also to keep my thoughts on Him — resulting in peace of heart and joy throughout the day.

Then tonight’s devotional reading points to the value of thinking about Jesus. Spurgeon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Spurgeon) reminds his readers that before giving strength for the daily things of life, Christ first gives His righteousness. He begins with: “It will always give a Christian the greatest calm, quiet, ease, and peace, to think of the perfect righteousness of Christ” — words that were icing on my cake. 

In His days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which He will be called: ‘The LORD is our righteousness.’ (Jeremiah 23:6)
Sometimes I look around me at a worship service and notice how few people are smiling. I wonder what they are thinking about. Are they focused on the words of the songs we sing? Are they thinking of You, dear Lord?

Oh, there is a place for sorrow, but for most of us, a worship service is not the place. There we are reminded of all You have done for us. There we know our sin, but also ought to be keenly aware of our salvation and that in You, we are perfect. I remember a man who scolded a congregation for always moping about their sin. He said that in Christ we have victory over sin. Why mope when we can defeat it?

Too often sin is part of my life, but You are always there to give me what I need to overcome it. Salvation and new life presents me “perfect in Christ Jesus” before Your eyes. Should I be overtaken by sin, I ought to be sad, but if I am walking with You, how can I not rejoice?

Yes, life is distressing at times. Yes, Satan assaults me often. Yes, trials come. Life is as Jesus said, “In me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation . . .” then adds, “Take heart; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

I acknowledge that my world was not too threatening today. It may have been -25 C. outside, but I was in a warm house with food and comfortable clothes. My chores were manageable for the average person (even though in Christ I feel far less than average). What then is the big deal about being in Christ and relying on Him for ordinary tasks?

It is a discipline of sorts. Just like saying no to things not forbidden improves self-control, calling out to You for grace to clean the bathrooms or answer email improves total dependency. Besides, when I ask for help, You also give me a good attitude. I could grumble about humdrum or unpleasant tasks, but instead I am joyful. This is not a game or an illusion. I know that apart from You I could not draw another breath. Then why not live all parts of my life with that in mind?

One more thing comes from thinking about Christ, His finished work, and the power of God. I noticed that the television news is losing its power to raise my blood pressure. That is because You are in charge. Also, You changed my life. You know what to do with world events and nothing is too difficult for You.

Note: Charles Haddon Spurgeon died 119 years ago today.

No comments: