January 30, 2011

In Christ

Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose-Driven Life, begins with, “It isn’t about you.” If I say, “But I am all that I really know” then the Holy Spirit reminds me that I also know Jesus. My life is supposed to be about Jesus, not so much about me.

While I struggle and strive to make that truth a visible reality, Spurgeon reminds me that the life of Christ was and is about me also. He begins with thoughts based on this passage . . . 

In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:11–14)
When Christ died, He died for me, for all those who believe. In Him we are forgiven and made righteous. We can do nothing of eternal value apart from Him. Yet without us, the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ would be pointless. What He did is tied to who and what we are — sinners who need a Savior. But then, in a dichotomy that shakes my ability to reason, He gives me the privilege, even the ability to glorify Him.

Imagine the most gifted artist finding a mud-spattered waif in the gutter. The artist reaches down and grasps the filthy hand. He pulls the muck-encrusted mess close to himself, washes her, feeds her, gives her all she needs. At the same time, he gently and firmly puts to death in her all that she used to be. Then, even as she is frail and wondering, he hands her a paintbrush and enables her to paint. From the end of the brush comes a glorious portrait of himself. And even though the portrait is all about him and glorifies the artist, the little one, who knows she cannot paint at all, was still part of the grandeur of its display. Such a mystery.

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
Lord, I am again blessed by Your words to me. You have bequeathed an inheritance to me that I did nothing to obtain. Your Son died that I might have all that is in Him. And He died also that I might be called Your child, Your heir. Because of Jesus, I am named in Your will.

Further, You give me great hope, not in myself, but in You. And in the hoping, You give the ability to bring praise to You, the Giver. It began when I first believed. At that moment, You sealed me as if putting a mark to declare that I belong to You. That seal is the Holy Spirit, continually affirming in my heart from that first moment of believing until now that this inheritance is definitely and rightfully mine, but not because of me. When I come into the full possession of the grand inheritance that You say is mine, it will be Jesus, not me, who is glorified.

Such a mystery this is — the sharing of the life of Jesus Christ. As Warren says, it is not about me, yet as You say, all that Jesus did was because of me and for me, an undeserving and unworthy sinner. I stand amazed in Your presence and am humbled by Your incredible and mysterious ways.

No comments: