January 5, 2011

His Light

This morning as I walked in our gated vacation community, I noticed that the light is different in the desert than in the mountains, or the prairies, or in the far north. Here, the air is clear and nearly cloudless with a light that makes me feel as if I’m floating.

When You said, “Let there be light” — there was light. And You saw that the light was good and separated it from the darkness. (Genesis 1:3–4)

You use light to describe truth and knowledge. Yet You are the epitome of light. Jesus said it many times. “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)

I’m trying to wrap my mind around this. You spoke light into existence, yet You are light. You saw that light was good, yet You are perfect goodness. You separated light from darkness, yet as John 1:5 says, the light shines in darkness and the darkness cannot overcome or conquer it — it being You.

Then I read another passage that tells me I have this light put inside of me. That is also mind-boggling — that a sinner could be entrusted with such a treasure!

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. (2 Corinthians 4:6–7)
I try to imagine the pure daylight on this morning’s walk being bundled up inside a clay jar. The movie makers could produce special effects that look as if this were possible, yet it cannot happen with physical light. However, wonder of wonders, You God can do it with spiritual light. You store it in human hearts, call it treasure, and this clay pot marvels.

Then I marvel again remembering this verse: “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden” and “Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14, 16).

You are saying those words to those who follow You. We are containers for Your light. So often I cannot wrap my mind around that. Sometimes I feel like a burned out candle or a pile of ashes with no signs of fire in me. Yet my devotional reading reminds me that even when I feel dim or even dark, God still “sees the Light.” You created it. You put it in me, Yourself in me. “God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: ‘The Lord knows those who are His’ and ‘Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity’” (2 Timothy 2:19). God sees the treasure even when I think I’ve lost it.

As I ponder these words about light, You draw my eye to the bottom line. Because I belong to you, I am to walk away from sin. Light overpowers darkness. It does not walk or mess with it. Light shines outward. In fact, I cannot imagine light even thinking about itself. With this image, one more verse comes to mind,

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world. (Philippians 2:14–15)
You give a simple application after all these lofty thoughts. Quit complaining. Quit doubting. You put the light in; I am to let the light out. However, I know I’m only a clay pot who has trouble finding the light switch, but You have an answer for that perplexity also: 
Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday. (Psalm 37:5–6)

No comments: