January 16, 2011

He swings the bat

This morning’s sermon was about God’s grace behind all the good that I do. The pastor used two illustrations. The first was a child learning how to bat a ball. His father stands with his arms around him and holds the bat on either side of those small hands. Someone throws the ball. The father moves the child’s hands and arms to swing and hit it. The child jumps up and down in excitement. “Look what I did, look what I did!”

The other was an old episode of the Andy Griffith show where Barney wanted to sing a solo in the choir. Everyone knew his voice was terrible except him. Andy rigged a solution where Barney was given the solo to sing, but told that the microphone was really powerful. He needed to sing softly and it would make his voice sound better. Of course the strongest singer in the choir slipped out to another mike and his was the powerful voice that everyone heard.

Using Scripture the pastor clearly explained how God’s grace enables His people to do His will in His strength. We may think we are doing it ourselves, but He is there, swinging the bat and singing the song, making it appear as if we are making the effort. The more mature we become, the more we realize that our spiritual strength is all from God.

Lord, You blessed me with this message. However, something happened during the day. I began thinking that this is fine for everyone else, but would not happen for me. I’m sure that the Liar was behind this doubt and false self-effacement, yet started to feel very sad and discouraged.

Besides that, these messages about grace have made me aware how much self-effort I put into spiritual disciplines. Is that grace? Or is it just me trying too hard? If I didn’t work at it, would grace sustain me anyway? Or would my spiritual life fizzle to a flabby nothing like a popped balloon?

I know these seem like basic questions, things a new Christian would ask, yet lately they keep running through my head like stampeding buffalo. Is this common for Christians at my stage of life? Or is there something else going on?

Yet regardless of the causes, You keep lining up my daily devotional readings to fit with the faith trials that I am going through. Tonight you use this verse to say many things:

Fear not, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel! I am the one who helps you, declares the LORD; your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel. (Isaiah 41:14)
I am the one who helps you.” Really. I know that. Have You ever not? I have never asked for help from You only to have You turn Your back. You are the God who helps me, a worm regarding spiritual power. You are my Redeemer. You are the Holy One. I am nothing without You.

Spurgeon’s thoughts also create an echo in my heart. He turns my attention to Your part in my salvation. As he says, it is a small thing for You to help me. Look what You have already done. You bought me with Your blood. You died for me. You chose me before the world began. You laid aside Your glory and became a man for me. You gave up Your life for me. You pulled me through many trials in the past forty years. Even before You saved me, You were watching over me. You saved my life as a child when doctors said I would not live. You had a plan for me. Nothing that challenges me is too difficult for You or beyond Your help.

My goodness. Do I need more power than the power of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Do I need more wisdom than You can give? Do I need more love than was shown by Jesus Christ — who now lives in me? What can I face that is too hard for You?

Sometimes I imagine myself (and feel it true) that I am a maidservant with an empty platter coming to You to have it filled. I already know that I can bring You my empty head, my sorrows and empty heart, my weakness and empty hands, my needs, even the needs of others, and You answer those cries for help.

I need to celebrate that, not doubt it. I need to go into the night and awake in the day knowing and rejoicing that You are my God — and You are also my helper. You swing the bat and You sing the song. I can lean into You for all things and can even hear You chuckle at those times when I say, “Look what I did, look what I did.” That too is grace.

No comments: