January 2, 2011

Continue in Prayer

Yesterday involved no travel so we considered it the first day of our vacation. In the car and for many miles I was able to pray. On vacation, prayer is a challenge. Sometimes, Lord, hours go by and I do not think of prayer, or even think of You. I am dismayed and how easily I drop spiritual disciplines (even other disciplines) when my routine changes. However, I’m not surprised that You have something to say about this.
Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ. . . . that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak. (Colossians 4:2–4)
Even though my prayers have sagged, I have been thinking about outreach. I notice that many Christians are not quick to speak of You to others. Is this the root of our problem? Not just lack of prayer, but being on a vacation? Having an idleness in our souls? Not even thinking of You when we need You all the time?

Spurgeon scolds me. As I read his words I also hear You speaking to me. This is a paraphrase of what he says and what You say . . .  

A prayerless soul is a Christless soul. Prayer is the lisping of a believing infant, the shout of the fighting believer, the requiem of a dying saint falling asleep in Jesus. It is the breath, the watchword, the comfort, the strength, the honor of a Christian. If I am a child of God, I will seek my Father’s face, Your face, and live in Your love.
I am your child, yet like a child I am so easily distracted from the important things by the color and sounds and smells of life. Discipline to pray comes easier when I am alone and can combine it with a long walk or a few minutes on my treadmill. But vacations? Even as I try to think of why this is a problem, I know that it is not an excuse.

What can I say? I repeat the prayer from Spurgeon and ask that this year I might be holy, humble, zealous, and patient. I ask that You bless me with closer communion with Christ. I do want to feast more often on His love. I ask that You work in my life so that I am an example and a blessing to others. I need You to put into me a greater zeal to live more to the glory of Your Name. For all of this, I am helpless apart from grace. Grant that I might obey You and most of all, continue in prayer.

No comments: