January 2, 2011

Abounding Grace

At the end of Isaiah 40, You tell Your people that You never get tired. Because You are their resource, those who wait on You will renew their strength. Then You say to the other nations, 
Listen to me in silence, O coastlands; let the peoples renew their strength; let them approach, then let them speak; let us together draw near for judgment. (Isaiah 41:1)
In its context, this verse is a challenge to those who do not know You. You are telling them to muster the best that they have and then, with that ‘renewed strength,’ try to plead their case before You.

I’ve heard people say that when they stand before God, they hope that they have done enough good things, or that they have been a good person. They do the best they can to renew themselves. Sometimes their encouragement comes from one another, just as verse six says, “Everyone helps his neighbor and says to his brother, ‘Be strong!’”

That ‘help’ might work for some, or for a little while. However, it sounds to me like, “Don’t worry; be happy” and those are empty words compared to the help and encouragement You give me when I wait on You.

Today provides an excellent example. We discovered Scottsdale Bible Church last year while here on vacation. Before we left home this time, we began a serious process of paring down our possessions. Some of this purging is easy, but I have trouble. I like my books. I like to have them on my shelves, even if I’m not using them. I can toss just about anything else, but not books.

The sermon today was about a Christian attitude toward possessions. The pastor told us that we need to give up ‘possessing’ and see Your reason for giving us what we have. I am a steward, not an owner. He used this passage:

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written, “He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.” He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. (2 Corinthians 9:8–12)
Lord, I am so blessed by the explanation of this text, partly because it hit me where I am, but mostly because it is so clear and true. The pastor said that Your grace supplies all my need. When I acknowledge what I have is from You, then You add contentment and the ability to enjoy it without having to ‘possess’ it. He said, “Do you have to own a rainbow to enjoy it? Do you need a mortgage on the Grand Canyon to deeply enjoy it?”

Of course not. With that illustration, You instantly lifted my sense of needing to own things. I felt as if You poured warm oil on me with this timely encouragement.

The rest of the message pointed how the above verses show that You grant bread for my need, but also ‘seed’ for the needs of others. That is, You take care of my needs, but also give me more so I might use it to take care of others. Abundance is meant to be shared. In this, I will experience renewed righteousness and You will be thanked and praised.

The verses from Isaiah remind me tonight that the challenges of purging and paring down are addressed in all sorts of self-help books filled with tips and ideas. Had we decided to find a book store, we would have missed the sense of renewal that You give when we wait on You.

Also, we spent this afternoon with friends (who do not know You). They told us all about how they left their stuff, but their advice was not even close to the encouragement that You gave.

Had we decided to sleep in on our vacation instead of going to church and waiting on You, we would have missed it too. I’m humbled by Your way of presenting truth right when I need to hear it. You are an awesome God and Your grace abounds to me.

NOTE: The Lord has led me to have daily devotions in the evening. I was scheduling these notes to post the next day, but now He urges me to post in the evening instead. This is why there are two posts with today’s date.

No comments: