November 2, 2010

To Live is Christ — worshiping according to His Word

Memory plays tricks on us. I’ve heard my husband describe something that we both experienced and his description does not match my recall. At first I thought that he was embellishing the story, but as time passes, I realize that my memory might not be clear either. Experts say that if you repeat a story often enough, it becomes a vivid memory even if the details are incorrect.

I’m so glad that the Word of God is written. I cannot imagine the problems if it had been left to us as a verbal message. Anyone who has played the game of “Gossip” knows how a story changes as it is passed from one person to the next. We have enough problems with varying interpretations of the Bible, never mind the chaos that would come if we were required to accurately remember and pass on what we have heard.

The devotional verses for today have been repeated several days, signifying their importance. The psalmist, in this case, King David, stresses how my heart and life need to be right when I worship God. 

Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord? Or who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not lifted up his soul to an idol, nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation. (Psalm 24:3–5)
I’ve heard people say that they don’t go to church because they don’t have the proper clothes to wear. However, there is nothing in the Bible that makes outer appearance a major criteria for worship. Though I’m certain a bikini or muscle shirts could be a distraction to other worshipers, special “Sunday-go-to-meeting” clothes are not a requirement.

I’ve also heard people say that they don’t feel comfortable in a church so never attend. While my inner feelings are more important than what I am wearing, the Bible’s descriptions about worship are not generally about me or how I feel. Worship is about God and the homage that we offer Him.

Yet these devotional verses are about me, at least most of what it says describes how my mind and heart should be. No sin. All sin confessed. A pure, clean, clear and uncluttered heart. No idols. No false oaths.

I nearly edited the above paragraph with how my heart should be “when I worship” but decided this is hypocrisy. My life should be like this all the time, not just on Sunday. I’m in the presence of God all the time and can worship Him anytime. He who looks at the heart instructs me, “Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life” (Proverbs 4:23).

Although all of Scripture was written for my spiritual well-being and gives detailed instruction concerning worship, I’m amazed at how much tradition and human invention gets mixed into it. As experts say, if such traditions are repeated often enough, they become “gospel” truth.

Some hold to their traditions with greater tenacity than they insist on practicing what the Bible actually does subscribe. I just hope that if the day comes when my eyes will no longer let me read it, that my memory never plays tricks on me. I do not want to stray away from what God says in His Word and get my story — and His — all muddled up.

No comments: