November 27, 2010

To Live is Christ — who is always available

Billy Graham once said that when you feel lonely in a crowded room that is God crooking His finger at you and saying, “Come here.”

In the ancient world, if anyone tried to enter the presence of a king without being invited, they risked their lives. Many kings did not tolerate such boldness and lopped off their heads. But approaching the King of kings is different. The writer of Hebrews puts it this way:

Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:14–16)
God the Son humbled Himself and became a man that He might experience life as we do. He sympathizes with our struggles and is approachable because of it. He invites me to come boldly into His presence anytime I wish. All those who put their faith in Him do not have to fear what He will do or say when bringing concerns and requests. He has compassion for His people and will listen.

The psalmist didn’t know about the sacrifice of Christ. He had the sacrificial system of a slain lamb to atone for his sin. While it was not all it could be, if a sacrifice was brought in faith, God accepted it. The Old Testament believers had God’s promise of a coming Messiah. Because they believed Him, He counted their faith as righteousness.

Before Christ came, God’s people experienced Holy Spirit power at times, but did not enjoy the constant indwelling of the Holy Spirit nor the presence of God in the same way as the saints of today. However, I can still identify with whoever wrote this psalm:

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? (Psalm 42:1–2)
Sometimes I thirst for God. Sometimes I wonder when I can meet with Him. Do I need an invitation like those who approached ancient kings? Do I have to wait until I feel a void in my heart or a time of need before I can come boldly to Him?

For much of my Christian life, prayer was like that. I prayed because there were needs to pray about. But somewhere along the way, God opened my understanding to realize that I can meet with Him and talk to Him anytime and about anything. I don’t need an appointment or a set time. I don’t need a list or a sense of urgency. He is with me 24/7 and ready to speak and listen, or just be there. My soul does not need to be cast down or upset or confused because my Lord promised to never leave me or forsake me. Therefore my hope is in Jesus Christ and I will praise Him, my Savior and my God, forever. 


No comments: