November 3, 2010

To Live is Christ — Transformed by Worship

Who can worship God? Various Bible versions render these verses in different ways. This one, Young’s, is one of the most literal to the original Hebrew language.
Who goeth up into the hill of Jehovah? And who riseth up in His holy place? The clean of hands, and pure of heart, who hath not lifted up to vanity his soul, nor hath sworn to deceit. He beareth away a blessing from Jehovah, righteousness from the God of his salvation. (Psalm 24:3–5, YLT)
As I read it, the last line suggests that worship is not only for God and a blessing to God, but the worshiper also benefits.

I know this is true. Sometimes the blessing is emotional. I stand before God with worship in my heart and He fills me with such joy that it almost hurts.

Sometimes the blessing is increased faith. As I focus on who He is and what He does and can do, how could I ever doubt a God like this? He is holy, pure, purposeful and full of truth. He never fails.

However, this verse says that the blessing He gives worshipers is righteousness. I come away from worship with increased righteousness, His righteousness, not mine. How can that be? A verse in the New Testament is the answer. It says:

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. (2 Corinthians 3:18)
In simpler terms, this says that when I gaze into His glory, as I do when I worship Him, I am changed so that I am more like Him. Looking at Jesus transforms me into His image. Voila! That is increased righteousness.

This is a tiny bit like being around a person with a drawl. Because of proximity and human nature, picking up their drawl is easy. Perhaps a better illustration is how children mimic the mannerisms of their parents. When I spend time with Jesus, seeing Him as He is, I become more like Him.

This is plainly said in another passage which talks about that final and full vision of Christ. 

Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. (1 John 3:2)
Looking at the Lord now will not remove all that is that “old me” but if seeing Him as He is has the power to fully transform me when “He is revealed” or when I step into eternity, surely any glimpse now will have an effect.

This week started badly with all sorts of dark news from family and friends. I’ve felt down and discouraged. However, as I sit here and think about seeing Jesus, it seems that His presence is clarified. The more I focus on Him, the more I sense Him gently lifting my burdens from me. That too is a blessing from worship.

Worship is for God. It is not about getting or about me. Yet God is all about giving. Offering anything to Him without Him pouring a blessing back is impossible. This is why I bow before Him — how could I not worship such an amazing God!

No comments: