November 12, 2010

To Live is Christ — speaking my heart

This week, the television news talked to teens about their text messaging habits. Most of them said they sent 200-300 texts a day. I’ve seen two of them sitting in the same room and texting rather than talking. I suppose that ensures no eavesdropping, but it does seem odd.

The past couple of days, I’ve also noticed phone service companies highlighting the value of verbal conversation. Do they feel guilty that customers no longer talk to each other? Or is this happening because texting is less of a money maker than phone calls?

One thing is certain; communication has changed. The Lord’s Prayer in 10th century English looked like this. I cannot read it and some letters are unknown to me.

g fæder, þu þe on heofonum eardast, geweordad wuldres dreame. Sy þinum weorcum halgad noma ni þ þa bearnum;  þu eart nergend wera. Cyme þin rice wide, ond þin rædfæst willa aræred under rodores hrofe, eac þon on rumre foldan. Syle us to dæge domfæstne blæd, hlaf userne, helpend wera,  þone singalan, sodfæst meotod. Ne læt usic costunga cnyssan to swide, ac þu us freodom gief, folca waldend, from yfla gewham, a to widan feore. (The Exeter Book, ed. Krapp and Dobbie 1936)
In 1602, the Geneva Bible reproduced these same verses in the language of their day. (The 1611 King James Version was similar.) 
Our Father which art in heauen, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdome come. Thy will be done euen in earth, as it is in heauen. Giue vs this day our daily bread. And forgiue vs our debts, as we also forgiue our debters. And lead vs not into tentation, but deliuer vs from euill: for thine is the kingdome, and the power, and the glory for euer. Amen. (1607 printing, ed. Sheppard (1989))
Today I’m using the New King James Bible. As near as I can find, it was translated in the late 1970s. The devotional reading for today looks like this:
In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah (Psalm 62:7–8, NKJV)
One of the most recent Bible versions is called The Message. It is written in modern language, well, as modern as 2002. These same verses look like this:
My help and glory are in God —granite-strength and safe-harbor-God— So trust him absolutely, people; lay your lives on the line for him. God is a safe place to be. (Psalm 62:7–8, The Message)
This translator attempted to get the gist of the verses, but also to say it in words that ordinary readers would appreciate and understand. As startling and as fresh as it might sound, he missed a phrase that I consider important. The original verses include, “Pour out your heart before Him.”

The whole idea of finding God as a hiding place and a refuge for my soul includes being silent before Him and waiting on Him without taking matters into my own hands (see yesterday’s post). It also includes the confidence and freedom to be able to tell God exactly how I feel. If I could not do that, then the sense of Him being a safe place would not be mine. I cannot trust Him if I cannot say all that is in my heart.

The psalms are filled with examples of pouring out one’s heart. This is not only an okay way to pray, but necessary. Of course I also need to listen, but speaking my mind is a huge part of my relationship with God. Speaking this way may be therapeutic. It is also helps me sort out my thoughts. However, pouring out my inner thoughts is a demonstration of trust. Holding back would clearly be a lack of faith.

Besides, God asks me to do it. These verses and many others tell me so. He doesn’t care if I speak in 10th century English, or Greek, or Dutch, or whether I can merely groan and mutter. He says to pour out my heart.

I’m concerned that this phrase was left out, but am glad that other versions leave it in. This affirms to me that God not only wants me to talk to Him, but to dump my load, or pour out my heart –- no matter how I express myself. 


(Clipart)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elsie - God bless you. I needed this today.