November 8, 2010

To Live is Christ — never lowering His standards

Yesterday’s post has been on my mind ever since writing it. How does God balance His exacting standard for righteousness with our insistent failure to be righteous? He does it by a higher law (for want of a better word). He made promises, first to Adam and Eve, then to Israel, and now to the church. He is determined to keep His promises, even to those who fail to meet His standards. His commitment to this greater than giving us what our sin deserves. In other words, His mercy is greater than His wrath.

Some versions translate this commitment as mercy, or loving kindness, or loyalty. It is loyalty to His own covenant. It also reveals both the nature of God and the person that He expects me to be.

Don’t ever forget kindness and truth. Wear them like a necklace. Write them on your heart as if on a tablet. Then you will be respected and will please both God and people. (Proverbs 3:3–4, NCV)
These verses also talk about truth. Like His incredible mercy and loyalty to His promise without lowering His standard for righteousness, God has the same loyalty to truth. He never lowers that standard either.

David knew this. When he sinned, he confessed the sin to God and said, “Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight — that You may be found just when You speak, and blameless when You judge.” (Psalm 51:4)

Paul quotes this verse in the New Testament with an addition: “For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written: That You may be justified in Your words, and may overcome when You are judged.’” (Romans 3:3–4)

We are liars. Besides all our fibs and whoppers, we lie about our sinfulness before God. David knew better. He knew that God is true when He says everyone sins and falls short of His glory. If we say otherwise, we lie and the truth is not in us. If we agree with Him, then we acknowledge that His Word is just. It is this truth that He does not want me to abandon, ever. “Don’t ever forget kindness and truth. Wear them like a necklace. Write them on your heart as if on a tablet. . . .”

I hear people say, “Well, that might be true for you, but it isn’t for me.” God’s truth is not subjective. He says it. He is God. His truth is objective, apart from human opinion. I may not understand all of it, but when I disagree with what He says, I give evidence that I am anti-truth and have abandoned it and Him.

Before he ordered the crucifixion, Pilate said, “What is truth?” He didn’t realize that he was looking at it. Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth. . . .” Jesus is God personified, but He is also truth personified.

Mulling over the idea of never forgetting the covenant commitment and never forgetting truth makes me realize the importance Christ. Without Him in my life, I’ve no idea what these verses are asking of me. Though my concept of mercy and truth is minimal, because of Him, I know that there is a life and a kind of living that is beyond me. I need Jesus in my heart. In His grace and power, I am challenged to live out the wonder of never lowing God’s standard of righteousness, yet remaining merciful to those who do. I am challenged to firmly hold to truth, yet be loving and kind to those who foolishly think that lying has more power than truth.

This is the last day for reading these verses, but they have lifted my thoughts, blessed my heart and further convinced me that God is awesome. I daily stand in need of His grace and mercy.

No comments: