November 18, 2010

To Live is Christ — having a perfect Father

Sometimes I feel like a bratty child before God. Best intentions aside, I fall into stinkin’ thinkin,’ or say mean and unkind words, or do something that I should not have done. The sense of God’s presence at those times is something like realizing my mother just came into the room as I put my hand in the cookie jar.

My parents rarely disciplined me though. My doctor told them I would not live long because of a childhood disease. I’m sure that came to mind whenever I acted up. They were merciful because my days were numbered.

Obviously their fears were never realized. Both lived to see me grow up, marry, have children and grandchildren. As I look back, I may have made them worry on many occasions, but their lack of strong discipline didn’t result in a monster. Instead, because they were so kind and loved me so much, I had respect for them. That respect kept me out of much trouble.

Today I’m missing both of them, but also giving thanks that my parents modeled the love of God toward me. Reading these verses reminds me so much of them.

The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will He keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His steadfast love toward those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does He remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust. (Psalm 103:8–14, ESV)
My parents were like that, merciful and gracious, slow to anger, great to offer compassion. The only thing they could not do was remove my sins from me. The reason is simple; no one can take away the sins of others or even their own sins. No matter the goodness of my parents, they passed on to me the same inclination to sin as they received from their parents. Going up the family tree all the way to Adam, all are sinners.

I know that I was born with a determination to have my own way. No one taught me that. It comes from my sinful nature. I was raised to do good, but deep in my heart I knew that my goodness was not enough. I learned in Sunday school and church that God is holy. His standard is far above mine, and He cannot tolerate sin.

My parents did the best that any parents could do, but again, they could not remove my sin. For that, I needed God and the sacrifice of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Because of the Lord’s mercy, I rejoice in knowing His forgiveness and grace. Because of His mercy, I am also deeply grateful that He gave me such loving parents.


No comments: