November 29, 2010

To Live is Christ — having my thirst quenched

Yesterday was Grey Cup day in Canada, the final football game between an eastern and western team. We have a small group over, most of whom are not big football fans. This tradition is quasi-potluck with more food than anyone needs, and lots of laughter which we all need.

Making sure the plates and coffee cups were filled and the meal was ready for halftime, I didn’t get much to eat or drink myself. A handful of munchies and a glass of punch perhaps, but by the time everyone left and I was putting dishes in the dishwasher, I was very thirsty. My devotional verses came to mind, 

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God? (Psalm 42:1–2)
Actually, I thought of another verse before that: “Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:31)

The next few minutes were not a surprise, but so much like God. I had been moving like a robot, wanting to have the kitchen clear for morning, but when I began thinking of waiting on the Lord, of being thirsty for Him, songs started coming into my mind. I began smiling and the intense weariness and thirst dropped away. I finished with delight instead of that drop-dead “I never want to do this again for a long time” fatigue.

Before that, the last couple to leave lingered and we talked about how God works and the immensity of His power. One person said that Christians do not dwell enough on the holiness of God, the great gap between who and what He is compared to our smallness, nor the incredible breadth of His creative ability. The conversation was almost too lofty for my small mind, a challenge for a fatigued brain, yet so comforting.

Without noticing, I had become spiritual tired too. Physical fatigue is easier to notice. Isaiah might have been talking about both, but the psalmist was certainly speaking of a deep need for God, not for just rest. For me, that thirst happens when I have been drained after a “high” day of service and worship.

Yesterday was also Sunday and a high day. It started with rich devotions, then I taught a class on the will of God concerning suffering. He blessed me in that class as I watched the “lights come on” in the faces of those who studied and discussed this unpopular topic.

After that, a man who serves God in South America spoke to us about how our concept of God affects the way we serve Him. It was emotional and deep. We sang at the end, our hearts stirred to worship by what we had experienced. After, several people told us that the preacher gave this message just for them (I thought it was just for me) and they were blessed. My hubby was blessed and our pastor expressed how the missionary’s words had touched his heart.

This was truly another super Sunday in our lives, not counting the sporting event and a gathering with friends that would top it off. It is Sunday’s like these that help me understand why many pastors take Monday as their day off. They are exhausted physically, emotionally, and perhaps spiritually.

This kind of fatigue has only one remedy. This thirst for God can be satisfied only by spending time with God, listening to Him and waiting on Him. I’m not sure how I will spend the rest of this day, but right now I am looking forward to being spiritually renewed by a long chat and some closeness with my favorite Person.

Photo credit

No comments: