November 16, 2010

To Live is Christ — being heard

Classes and seminars offer “listening skills” and while I’ve not noticed much on this topic lately (replaced by “texting skills”?), it seems a no-brainer. If I am genuinely interested in a person and care about what they have to say, then genuine listening is automatic.

God is a good listener. Today’s verses say a great deal about His listening skills.  

But certainly God has heard me; He has attended to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer, nor His mercy from me! (Psalm 66:19–20)
The very first word speaks volumes. I didn’t include the verse before this passage. It gives the reason for the “but.” Yet whatever it is or whatever I have done God will hear my prayer anyway. Oh, the Bible talks about some exclusions, such as prayers prayed in selfishness or those from the lips of people who will not give up their sin. However, God still hears. He just doesn’t give me what I ask for.
When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. (James 4:3, NIV)
I know that He hears even those wrongly motivated prayers because His Spirit sets to work on my heart. When I pray that way, He soon begins to convict me of my sinful attitudes and works repentance in my heart. If He wasn’t listening when I prayed, that would not happen.

Another listening skill is that He attends to or takes notice of what I say. So often my hubby asks me to do something, or tells me he will be early for dinner, and if I do not write it down, I forget. God is not like that. He pays close attention. My prayer requests never slip through the cracks because He is not absent-minded. He always gives me His full attention.

He never turns away either. I’ve sometimes turned my back when someone is speaking. I might hear them, but in their mind, I have shut them out. God does not turn Himself away, nor does He turn my prayers away. He never hits the “off” button or the volume switch. He wants to hear me. That is incredible.

The last line might be the most important. I’ve had people talk to me when I didn’t want to give them my time or my ears. Sales people at the door. Telemarketers. Whiners. Those who seem to never stop talking. Yet God never turns them away because He is merciful. I don’t deserve to be listened to because of my sin. Though Jesus covers that sin, at times I sound like those people who I want to shut off. God could shut me down or tell me to come back when my attitude improves, but in mercy, He never does. He simply listens, exercising mercy and great patience.

All of God’s listening skills are based on the reality of His love. He cares for me, for everyone. He is not only interested but deeply invested in our lives. What I have to say matters to Him. Even if no one else has time or desire to hear me out, God will, and for that, I bless His name!

No comments: