October 27, 2010

To Live is Christ — trusting when I cannot see

The idea of Jesus being with me wherever I go has been proven in the past and is true for the present. What about the future? I’m not a “what if” worrier, but I know some things are possible in my future. For instance, my DH has blood cancer. While he is healthy right now, I could go into my old age alone and lonely. Will Jesus be with me should that happen?

There are other negative scenarios that could happen in my future. I wonder about family loss, or financial reverses, or illness, fires, accidents or other bad news events. I cannot imagine trying to deal with anything like that without the presence of Jesus. I need Him to be with me, no matter what happens. I’m not able to manage without His help. This is His promise to me . . . 

I’ve commanded you to be strong and brave. Don’t ever be afraid or discouraged! I am the Lord your God, and I will be there to help you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9, CEV)
He knows that I’m not a strong or brave person either. I’ve done things that required both, but in every instance I have been aware that my strength or courage comes from Him. These are not natural traits for me.

I am not usually fearful though. Maybe I don’t have the energy for it. However, when that emotion strikes I know that it comes from my sinful nature. God is not the author of fear. During fearful times, remembering that He is with me is very significant. I agree with David who wrote . . . 

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
Discouragement could be my worst problem. It comes from thinking that God is not doing anything. I’m not concerned that He will leave me (although that has been a worry a few times), but am more upset during those times that it seems He doesn’t hear my prayers. Even if He does, it seems as if He is ignoring me. God’s silence is one thing. I can handle that, but what gets me down is thinking that He has chosen not to act, as if He has gone on strike. Nothing I say or do will persuade Him to do something.

I know that the Bible supports both His presence and His activity. It does not promise that I will get to see what He is doing. For that I need faith. I also need to remember that just as I trust that He is with me because He says He is, I can also trust that He is acting on my behalf because He promises to do so.

Hebrews 11 says that faith is the evidence of things not seen. The Bible says that I am to walk by faith and not by sight. However, human nature says I need to see it to believe it.

Sigh. No one says that walking with Jesus is easy.

No comments: