September 28, 2010

To Live is Christ — without regrets

This saddest words in the world could be, “Oh, I wish I had . . . “?

Parents of wayward children wish they had been more lenient, or stricter. Owners of businesses that fail wish they had hired more (or less) employees, or did more (or less) advertising. Investors wish they had (or had not) bought a certain stock. The downturns in life often make us wish we had made different choices.

Christians have one advantage in this. God promises to guide us through our lives. This means that if He wants certain choices to be made, He has a way of making that known to us. Whether I read something in His Word, or am advised by a godly person, or just ‘know it’ in my heart, God makes sure that I know what He wants me to do. However, He does leave the choice of doing it up to me. This is a test of my faith and of my love for Him.

The Word of God clearly states that these choices are important. James 4:17 says, “So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.” This isn’t about merely missing an opportunity or making a mistake. If God lets me know what He wants me to do, then anything short of obedience is far more than the wrong choice. It is sin, and sin is serious stuff.

Sin separates us from God. How can One who is pure and holy have anything to do with sinners? He cannot. Further, He says, “The wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23) and “The soul that sins must die” (Ezekiel 18:4). This death is beyond physical death. It is separation from God forever. It is spending eternity in a place that is everything that God is not. Eternal death is eternal darkness with continual hunger and the sense of continual shame and torment. It is forever being without security and assurance. It is guilt that never ends.

Those who believe in Jesus Christ have been rescued from this eternal damnation. Because Jesus died for our sin and took our punishment, God can offer forgiveness and eternal life. Although I was lost in sin, God is merciful. Because of the sacrifice of His Son on my behalf, I am no longer under the condemnation of my sin.

That being said, sin is still a weighty matter. Disobeying God is not a light thing but serious. Jesus died that I might be set free from the power of sin as well as its penalty. Blatant disobedience makes mockery of this wonderful gift, particularly when I am fully aware of what He wants me to do.

Reflecting on my Christian life, there have been times when I thought I knew His will and was wrong. Other times I didn’t hear Him tell me what to do and went ahead without waiting for His direction and guidance. Each time I messed up and fell into sin. Each time, after confessing my sin, He has been faithful and just to forgive my sin (1 John 1:9). Yet, like anyone who makes a wrong choice and regrets it, I have too often said, “I wish I had. . . .”

I am thankful that the Lord forgives those times that I disobey Him. I am thankful that one day, He will wipe all the tears from my eyes. His mercy and grace are wonderful. However, it is far better to do what He says — and live without regret.

No comments: