September 13, 2010

To Live is Christ — ready to speak

Why is it that the right thing to say often does not come to mind until long after the opportunity to say it? “I should have said. . . .” Or “Why didn’t I think to say. . . .” But it is too late. Peter gives several clues in these verses.
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. (1 Peter 3:15–17)
“Sanctify” means to set apart or venerate as holy. It is a biblical word loaded with connotations, but in this context, it is the biggest reason I fail to answer questions about my faith or about God as quickly as I should. I’m too busy thinking about other things. If my mind was more often filled with thoughts of God and His holiness, talking about Him would be much easier.

This is convicting. I’ve often said that we talk about whatever is most on our mind. A new mother talks about her baby. A busy employee is apt to talk about work. A gardener will talk about plants. Peter says that a Christian ought to set God apart and when conversations happen, He will be first on the list of topics. Learning the art of meditation is a lifelong challenge as is setting apart the Lord in my heart.

Another reason is that I’m not always prepared to give a defense. This Greek word translated “defense” is the one we get apologetics from. It means a reasoned statement. Do I think through issues about my faith? Can I verbalize the reason for my Christian hope? Have I worked out the reasons why I believe? Yes I have, but preparing to share them with others is another matter.

A third reason for not being quick to speak is in those words: “meekness and fear.” Meekness is to have a gentle disposition. I’m not a meek person. I can be feisty or blunt. That is not conducive to sharing hope with others. As for fear, this word is “phobos” not the word for reverence. In this context it has to mean a fear, even a terror of displeasing God. This contrasts Peter’s exhortation that no believer in Jesus Christ should fear how others might mistreat us for our faith. Yet I’m more apt to be afraid of “what will people think” than I am of what God might think. That translates into silence and disobedience rather than a verbal defense of my faith.

Another reason is in that part about having a good conscience. It isn’t that I am guilty all the time, but when my life is right, Satan is my accuser. He is an expert at creating false guilt by dredging up old sins and making me feel like “who am I to talk to others about sin and repentance and so on?” That sense of not wanting to appear “holier than thou” will keep me quiet too. I forget that meekness and fear would fix that problem.

Peter nails the final issue with the last part of this passage. People who are not willing to suffer for doing good will keep their mouths shut rather than have others ridicule, mock, or reject them for speaking about their faith. Those who once were my friends do not like hearing about Jesus. Many of them decided not to remain my friends. One of them, although I was okay on all these points, was outraged when I tried to share with her the reason for my hope. Although Christians have died for their faith, suffering is seldom a priority. I’d rather keep my friends than have them revile me.

At times, the Spirit of God fills me with His grace and the right attitude. Because of Him, my mind is quick and my attitude meek. I fear God and messing up, but have a good conscience, and He gives me the words to say.  Sadly, that is not true all the time. Nor is it easy. I suppose if sharing what I believe was a simple matter, God would not have inspired Peter to put these verses in His Book.

No comments: