September 16, 2010

To Live is Christ — needing to do my part

After ten hours sleep Tuesday night, I’m feeling quite good. My pulse is slower and not jumping all over the place. I know now what to avoid to keep this from happening. Besides the chocolate, I remember taking another no-no that would jumpstart my heart. I knew that it might do that, but had forgotten. I will not forget again.

Remembering what to do and what not to do should be simple. With the unpleasantness (to say the least) of this fibrillation thing, you’d think I would never forget the causes of this problem and remember to avoid those causes. I’m feeling a bit dumb. Duh.

Yet as I think about it, I have to admit that the same thing happens in my spiritual life too. I know what to do, and what not to do, but sometimes I simply forget. The verses I’ve been reading are a case in point. The very first phrase says to have God set apart in my heart.

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. (1 Peter 3:15–17)
To me, sanctify simply means to have Him always on my mind. It should be easy. He is worth thinking about, and there is much about Him to keep anyone’s mind fully occupied. He gives me hope, not the sappy “I hope so” kind, but the biblical hope that is a sure thing because God said so. I know what is coming after my heart stops and am very certain. This is my eternal hope — and that eternal future can occupy my mind for hours.

God also makes it possible to have a good conscience. Only Christians and psychopaths can make that claim! Since I have a conscience and know when I sin, I’m not the latter! A good conscience means that I’m keeping short accounts with God and my sins are forgiven. Only God can do that. I suppose that if I wanted to review them, and the forgiveness that goes with each, that could take a huge part of my thinking time too.

The will of God is another immense topic for thought. I’m teaching a class this fall on this topic and realize that a few weeks of study will not be enough time. Trying to wrap my mind around the will of God could fill my thoughts all day, and that is only one part of who God is and how much thinking time is due Him.

Actually, why do people forget things? Habit? Preoccupied with other stuff? Distracted? By choice? I suppose all of the above are true at times. Maybe the motivation to remember needs to be stronger. Having to spend a couple days wondering if I will wind up in the hospital is motivation to remember what to avoid putting in my stomach. What does it take to motivate me to remember what to keep in my heart?

The answer is twofold. It is partly my responsibility, but also the work of God. As Paul said . . . 

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12–13)
I am to obey, and that includes remembering. I need to work at it with fear and trembling. However, God is also at work in me. He works to motivate me to want His will and to do His will, not for my own sake, but for His pleasure. This means that living my Christian life is not about me, but for His glory.

This also means that I can call on Him to help me, but I cannot blame Him when I mess up.

No comments: