September 3, 2010

To Live is Christ — even in the wilderness

We are driving south to spend a week in a wilderness resort. While it has golf, swimming pool, bike rentals, air conditioning and a room with a roof, it is also isolated, even without cell phone service. I wonder what being away from my to-do list might mean for my spiritual life.

The question comes easily as I've been reading about the Old Testament people of God and their wilderness experiences. It seems that this has always been a place where God made them take some exams.

In Exodus, the people left Egypt and slavery, but when they refused to enter the land God promised them because they were afraid of its inhabitants, God let them wander in the wilderness for forty years. That was a test and they didn't do so well with it. The prophet Ezekiel reminds them of those days, but also that He did not destroy them for their disobedience.
So I also raised My hand in an oath to them in the wilderness, that I would not bring them into the land which I had given them, flowing with milk and honey,' the glory of all lands, because they despised My judgments and did not walk in My statutes, but profaned My Sabbaths; for their heart went after their idols. Nevertheless My eye spared them from destruction. I did not make an end of them in the wilderness. (Ezekiel 20:15 17)
The next passage was later. They had been in the land for years, but were still not obeying God. This time Ezekiel told them how He was going to deal with those who disobeyed.
And I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there I will plead My case with you face to face. Just as I pleaded My case with your fathers in the wilderness of the land of Egypt, so I will plead My case with you," says the Lord God. "I will make you pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant; I will purge the rebels from among you, and those who transgress against Me; I will bring them out of the country where they dwell, but they shall not enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Lord. (Ezekiel 20:35 38)
Then I read again the passage from my devotional guide. This time, instead of chastening and warning them about their disobedience, God tells them what He intends to do with their wayward hearts.
Israel, I, the Lord, will lure you into the wilderness and speak gently to you. I will return your vineyards, and then Trouble Valley will become Hopeful Valley. You will say "Yes" to me as you did in your youth, when leaving Egypt. I promise that from that day on, you will call me your husband instead of your master. I will no longer even let you mention the names of those pagan gods that you called "Master." And I will agree to let you live in peace you will no longer be attacked by wild animals and birds or by weapons of war. I will accept you as my wife forever, and instead of a bride price I will give you justice, fairness, love, kindness, and faithfulness. Then you will truly know who I am. I will command the sky to send rain on the earth, and it will produce grain, grapes, and olives in Jezreel Valley. I will scatter the seeds and show mercy to Lo-Ruhamah. I will say to Lo-Ammi, "You are my people," and they will answer, "You are our God." (Hosea 2:14 23, CEV)
The children of God never did well on their wilderness tests. Then God sent His Son who was also tested in the wilderness. He passed.
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread." But He answered and said, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'" Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: He shall give His angels charge over you,' and, In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.' " Jesus said to him, "It is written again, You shall not tempt the Lord your God.' " Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, "All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me." Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.' " Then the devil left Him, and behold, angels came and ministered to Him. (Matthew 4:1 11)
I don't know if my wilderness experience will be a test of some kind, or only a vacation. If a test, I've the Word of God to guide me and the Son of God to set the example of how to pass a wilderness exam. If not, I can still depend on His presence should this backwoods experience simply allow me a chance to relax.

No comments: