September 12, 2010

To Live is Christ — entrusting myself to the Righteous Judge

My dad, and no doubt others of his era, had a saying about people who had a negative attitude. “Doesn’t matter what you do around them, ‘cause you’re darned if you do and darned if you don’t.” Today’s verses made me think of his words and how Christians are targets, no matter what we do.
And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.” But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. (1 Peter 3:13–17)
Christians walk a narrow line. If we live as Christ lived, eventually we trouble the conscience of others, or enrage them because our lives condemn theirs. They didn’t like Jesus so killed Him. They don’t like us either. Some Christians die because of their faith.

On the other hand, if we fall into sin, we incur their mockery as well. They sneer, “I thought you were supposed to be a Christian.” Like my dad said, we get shot at no matter what we do. However, God says if we are going to suffer, it better be for doing the right thing, not for being foolish.

In the above passage from 1 Peter, the context offers instruction for husbands and wives. God’s standard is high. He tells wives to have a submissive spirit and husbands to love their wives and honor them. Two stories illustrate the “popularity” of this standard.

The first was the response to a short article my mother wrote about being a submissive wife. Several women were so angered by it that they formed a group. They met several times to discuss how stupid this woman was, a woman they didn’t even know. I’m glad they never met mom. She had no idea how to cope with such angry accusations.

The second was the response to a young professor I had in Bible college. This was in 1989 (I was the only granny in class). He had a T-shirt made with writing on the front. It said, “I LOVE MY WIFE.” He was mocked and laughed at for his declaration.

Since then, these and other incidents have shown me that whatever God commands is bitterly contested by most people. It only follows that when God’s people do His will, we are treated with contempt.

Notice that I say whenever we do His will. I’ve also learned from personal experience that Christians can act like jerks and be mistreated too. Been there, done that. The rest of the world might to get away with foolish behavior, but if a Christian acts like an idiot, it is not overlooked.

This is why Peter wrote that we should do good, and not be afraid of the response. It is far better to suffer for doing right than suffer for doing the wrong thing. Either way, it seems like suffering is part of what it means to walk with Jesus. In fact, He said that because He suffered, His followers would also suffer.

It is said that the Christian accepts the hardships of this life knowing that we will enjoy a blissful eternity. Moderns call this “delayed gratification.” However, those who reject Christ for “the good life” here and now will suffer for eternity, whether they realize it or not.

Moses realized it. He was born in Egypt and escaped death as a child because his mother was smart. He was raised in Pharaoh’s palace and could have been the next leader of that country. But Moses knew the God of his parents.

By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt; for he looked to the reward. By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured as seeing Him who is invisible. (Hebrews 11:24–27)
This is my choice too. Will I pick affliction rather than the passing pleasures of sin? Will I choose the same reproach given to Christ rather than the riches I might have if I denied Him? Will I endure the wrath of those who do not like God or His commands?

Human beings are wired to protect themselves and self-preservation is a normal response to a threat. To choose suffering is illogical. But, this is a matter of faith, not logic. It is a matter of seeing the God who is invisible and knowing, like Christ knew, that He will reward righteousness and deal with evil.

If my dad could rewrite his saying and make it about the response of God to the behavior of His people, he would have to say that we are “blessed if we do good and forgiven when we make mistakes.” Either way, we are blessed, even if others don’t like us. Why fear them?

Beside, God is not going to let His people suffer forever. If I fail to obey, He will pick me up and start me on the right track. If I obey and someone mocks or persecutes me, that is not the last chapter in the story. Eternity is yet to come, and because of Jesus, I’m not afraid of it either. When others ridicule my faith, the promises of God are my only defense.

No comments: