August 29, 2010

To Live is Christ — enjoying short chats

A well-known book called Love Languages explains that each person feels loved in different ways. It might be when they are given gifts, or spent time with, or engaged in meaningful conversation, or touched.

I feel loved when I am spoken to and given undivided attention. How delightful that God does both. I experience His love as His word speaks directly to me and the needs in my life, and gives me specific direction for each day and situation. I also experience His love through the reality of Him listening to my prayers, even answering them.

In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs. (Hebrews 1:1–4)
These verses are so majestic that I have to shake myself and remember that God not only sent His message to the world through Jesus Christ but that He also speaks to me. Personally. One-to-one. He made the universe, but He also talks to those in His family. He sits at the right hand of His father, but He stopped first to purify my sins. How lovely is this One that I worship.

We drove to Canmore in the Rocky Mountains on Thursday night. The weather report called for almost winter weather. Brrr. My hubby was invited to a golf tournament for Friday and wanted to get out on the links again on Saturday. The forecast didn’t look good for either day.

As we were driving, I heard this small voice. Well, it was not audible, but I heard Him anyway. He suggested that I pray for good weather. Seems a bit selfish, but it wasn’t for me. The golfer in my life didn’t know that I prayed. It was for him. So I prayed.

Friday was windy but sunny and clear right up until the tournament ended. DH had a great game and came in with some loot and a big smile. The sky on Saturday was almost perfect — cool but clear and sunny, not a cloud in sight, odd for the Rockies in August. DH smiled after his game, and even more when I told him that I’d prayed.

Some might say coincidence. Maybe. However, I would not have prayed without the hint to do so. This is a small thing, but these itty conversations are just another cool reason why I love being a child of God.

No comments: