August 14, 2010

To Live is Christ — choosing His schedule

The title of my devotional reading is, “Losing is a Choice.” It is about Abraham’s servant and his decision to not only obey his master and do a challenging thing, but also to ask God for help.

Of course no one knows what would have happened had he disobeyed Abraham or not bothered asking God to help him. Maybe he would have accomplished the task. However, I tend to agree with the title of this devotional. The author assumes that the servant’s choices meant coming out on top, whereas choosing his own way would have made him a loser.

In my experience, whenever I do what God says and ask Him to help me do it, things turn out far better than I expected. Besides, I am able to praise God afterward, something like Abraham’s servant did, 

Blessed be the Lord God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken His mercy and His truth toward my master. As for me, being on the way, the Lord led me to the house of my master’s brethren. (Genesis 24:27)
This past couple of months I’ve been making special effort to ask God to help me with the unexpected events of each day. In the morning I may make plans but who knows what will interrupt or change what I had in mind? Life is unpredictable.

For instance, today my ambitions got sidetracked. I’d had classes all last week and was exhausted. I didn’t set my alarm last night, and of course slept late. Just as I began reading my Bible, the phone rang. It was my eldest son calling to let me know he was baby-sitting because of a surgery in the family. Now it is nearly noon and I’ve just started what will be a busy day.

There was a time when I’d have set my alarm anyway, and gone without the sleep I needed. There was a time when I would not answer the phone until I had my quiet time with God. I controlled the interruptions, or tried to. Not anymore.

God knows what is important. I can trust Him to control things. He knows that my attitude of heart is a bigger priority than my schedule. Some days.  He gives me clear sailing. Some days the seas are choppy. In all of that, He never forsakes His mercy and leads me in the way He wants me to go.

God is also teaching me that not all interruptions are from Him, at least as the first cause. Yet even when my spiritual enemy wants to sidetrack me, He allows it so that I might learn to pray for help and have a godly attitude, no matter what. Life is unpredictable, but the loving care of my heavenly Father is a sure thing. I can rely on Him to keep me from being a loser.

No comments: