July 14, 2010

To Live is Christ — taking inventory

I and many of my friends are seriously attempting to de-clutter our houses. We have too much stuff, but more than that, we want life to be simplified.

At first I figured this flurry of activity was related our age, but last weekend, a much younger woman who is married to my nephew said she was doing the same. For her, a forced evacuation because of fires (last year in San Diego) made her look at what they had and decide what was important. She said other than photos and their computer hard drive, nothing mattered very much. When they returned to their home, she began to get rid of many of those nonessentials. 

You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today. (Deuteronomy 8:17–18, NIV)
The reading that goes with this verse makes this comment: “Remember the Lord your God when you take inventory.”

I know this refers mostly to a spiritual inventory, as in, do I know my strengths and do I realize that He gave them to me? However, I am also thinking about the stuff that I’ve collected in my 65 plus years of life. God asks me to be a good steward, which means wise use of what He has allowed me to have. If I am not using it, then I should find someone who needs it and will use it.

Over the past few months, I have given away dishes, clothing, magazines, and countless odds and ends.  I’ve not counted my books, but a quick look estimates hundreds, maybe a thousand. They are the hardest to part with, but I cannot use them all. The idea came to buy a package of those small red adhesive dots. For the next couple of years, I’ll put a dot inside the books I’ve used and the rest will be given away or sold.

Today I’m challenged to “remember God” as I take inventory. One way is praying over things, and I have been doing that. I’ve noticed how the Holy Spirit gives me a sense of “keep this” or “toss that” as I go through the shelves and cupboards. He also puts on my heart a place or person who would profit from having the items I no longer need or use.

Those verses are specifically about the power to get wealth. I can extrapolate from that other strengths that God gives. He has blessed me with several abilities including writing, painting, graphic arts, quilt making, etc., but I cannot do everything. I’m a lousy singer, not much for athletics, and have to work hard to be organized. Besides, there is no time, and lately, not enough energy to do everything that He has given me the ability to do.

For these reasons, consulting God becomes increasingly more important. When taking inventory, I need His voice to know what to keep, use, get rid of, or store for later. Of course He knows all about my future needs, but He also knows how my activities will best fit into His plans. In all of this, He is confirming His covenant of grace in my life.

Lord, I am so blessed. You are involved in all that I do and all that I have. Please continue to direct this de-cluttering process. I trust You to also direct the giveaway so that whatever I don’t need goes to someone who does. In all of this, may You be glorified.


Clipart credit

No comments: