July 28, 2010

To Live is Christ — relying on my Father

Sometimes God reveals what His Word says about a matter after I’ve experienced the truth of it. This week someone mocked the way I do things, putting down my attempts to be organized and active. I didn’t defend myself. I just know that “God is not the author of confusion” (1 Corinthians 14:33) and that I am supposed to keep busy in my home (Titus 2:5).

Even so, the ridicule bothered me. The next day I poured out my thoughts to God, just as the verse I’ve been reading says. As I did, God helped me. My emotions soon turned from “poor me” to concern and prayer for the attitude of the person who did this. Then this morning I notice the context of that verse . . . 

My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah. Surely men of low degree are a vapor, men of high degree are a lie; if they are weighed on the scales, they are altogether lighter than vapor. (Psalm 62:5–9)
Despite wanting to retaliate, God helped me hold my tongue. Instead, I began asking Him to purify my own thinking. Wait silently for God. He is my defense. I shall not be moved.

As I prayed, the Holy Spirit assured me that He will take care of the other person. I need to focus on being like Jesus. He reminds me of these verses . . . 

For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: “Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth”; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously. (1 Peter 2:20–23)
Jesus didn’t fight back. He silently trusted the Lord and committed His situation to the One who knows all things and will judge righteously, not in frustration or annoyance. Trust in Him at all times . . . God is a refuge for us.

The last part of the passage in Psalm 62 puts things in perspective.  . . . If they are weighed on the scales, they are altogether lighter than vapor.

In the whole scheme of things, the opinions of people really do not matter very much. God’s opinions are vital and it is to God that I must give account, not anyone else. If He approves, who can criticize?

I didn’t think of it then (probably because I would have said it with the wrong attitude), but today God also reassures me with these verses written by Paul . . . 

It is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God. (1 Corinthians 4:3–5)
Just as I have been thinking, each day is a test. Some are small (including this one). Others are fraught with horrid events. Many other days are carefree and seemingly uneventful. No matter what each day brings, He wants me to simply trust Him with everything and at all times.

No comments: