July 13, 2010

To Live is Christ — letting mercy win

It starts in the sandbox. “My castle is bigger than your castle.” It continues in the playground. “I can swing higher than you can.” It winds up in boardrooms. “Our profit is higher than their profit.”

Human pride constantly aims for bigger and better. It pressures people to keep up with (or better) the Jones’, outsell the other salesmen, be number one, have the most, outdo the other guy. This competitive attitude is part of the human sin nature, and is not at all like Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately, pride can still creep in when a person becomes a Christian. I’ve fought with it. So have others. It can be overt or subtle. It can be, “I’m not perfect but I’d never sin like so-and-so has.” It can be, “Have you heard that ___ has done ____?” as if I’ve never done anything wrong.

Today’s verse is about this pride, narrowing it to pride over being wealthy. It says, 

Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. (Deuteronomy 8:17–18, ESV)
Anything could be substituted in the place of wealth. It could read as a warning not to say in my heart, “I love God very much” which is okay until it slides into, “I love God more than _____ does” or “I wish other Christians were as interested in doing God’s will as I am” or some other variation of “I am better. . . .”

How easy to forget that it is God who gives all skill and spiritual abilities. All talent is from Him. All virtue is from Him also. I have no boasting rights. Not only that, I cannot try to make myself look better by putting down others who seem inferior in some way. Romans 14:4 says, 

Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
When I put down another Christian for not being what I think he or she should be, whatever my reasons, I have essentially criticized God who is in charge of that person’s life.

As I think about this in relation to today’s devotional reading, a balance needs to be considered. For example, God commands Christians to tell others about Jesus Christ. He supplies the words, the boldness and the opportunities. If those things are in place and it is clear that I am to speak up, then I am responsible for obedience. Just as He gives power to get wealth so He can confirm His covenant, He also gives power to share Christ so He can make the gospel known.

On the other hand, if I am critical of the person who never opens his mouth, then I am no better, but have fallen into the same pit of disobedience. I’ve neglected the fact that God also gives power to be gracious and to encourage His people, and that I’m to love and support other believers. Not only that, Romans 14 says that God can uphold His people. If one of them fails to stand, He might want me to be the instrument He uses to uphold that person. Being critical or harsh rarely does it.

I don’t know who said it first, but my husband often says, “When you don’t know whether to condemn someone or be gracious, it is better to err on the side of mercy.” We agree that God sometimes calls for judgment since Jesus said to “judge righteously” yet He also calls me to be like Him.

When Jesus bore my sin, He also bore God’s judgment on my sin. That is, instead of God’s wrath Christ humbled Himself and showed great mercy — He offered me His righteousness. When others sin, I need to be humble like Jesus, not proud or thinking I am better. It is God who gave me righteousness. It didn’t get it myself.

To live is Christ also means that mercy triumphs over judgment (James 2:13). When I’m tempted to be proud, to win, or to better others by putting them down, I need to remember that mercy reigns. If judgment did, I would not be here.

No comments: