July 15, 2010

To Live is Christ — knowing where my strength comes from

If God gives strength to His people to produce wealth and thus confirm His covenant promised to them, how then and why do sinners make money and get rich?

It is no “if” that God’s people depend on Him for all we need to do everything. Jesus said, “Apart from Me, you can do nothing” (John 15:5). That includes the ability to prosper, as He said also in the Old Testament . . . 

If you start thinking to yourselves, “I did all this. And all by myself. I’m rich. It’s all mine!”—well, think again. Remember that God, your God, gave you the strength to produce all this wealth so as to confirm the covenant that he promised to your ancestors—as it is today. (Deuteronomy 8:17–18, The Message)
I know that my very next breath depends on God, never mind the skills and strength I need for each day. However, when Jesus said I can do nothing apart from Him, He surely meant nothing of eternal value. Those who don’t know Christ and have no reliance on His power do all kinds of things, but the Bible is clear about the results of their efforts. None of it lasts beyond this life and the judgment of God.

What power or source of strength motivates or drives the unsaved person then? If not God, what? The Bible is also clear on this and says it is sin, that unholy desire to do things for self and by self, apart from God. Sin is the driving force of sinners.

However, as the sinner is powered by sin, they do not realize that sin also holds them in bondage. It motivates, but also enslaves. These verses describe what seems like strength for what it really is — a trap.

The Lord is known by the judgment He executes; the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. (Psalm 9:16)
Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared. (Proverbs 22:24–25)
The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast. (Proverbs 5:22)
When under the power of sin, there is no escape. The motivation to make money or do whatever else “self” desires does not go away. It is constant and it is determined. Before Christ, no matter how hard I tried to be “good” my reasons were always selfish, always sinful.

Reliance on God for the power to get money or to do anything else is not like the power of sin. While I could choose the sinful way, God still has His hand on my life. He has promised by His new covenant to save me from sin, so no matter what I try under the motivation of sin, it is not likely to succeed. If it does, God will use the experience to teach me that success in sinful things does not last. Sin’s “rewards” are always hollow and meaningless compared to the blessings of obeying Him.

Being set free from sin means being able to choose my motivations and source of strength. When I decide to rely on God, I cannot do things for self. His motivations do not include selfish ambitions, but instead turn me toward doing things for Him, whether it is making money or giving it away.

I’m not particularly gifted in the area of producing wealth, but I know Christians for whom it seems effortless. These are also generous people. They know the source of their riches. They can safely share what they have because they know that God gave it to them in the first place and will continue to take care of their needs.

It is the same with all other resources, including nonmaterial things like time and energy. I can expend both, knowing these are gifts from God. He will give me the hours and the strength that I need. I can safely follow His leading to spend time that I don’t think I have for the sake of others, or give effort when I’m tired to do what He asks. He always fills the gaps.

This is true because He is the same Lord who “gives strength to produce wealth.”  He also gives strength or whatever else I need so as to confirm in me the promises that He has made just as Paul said in Philippians 4:13, “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”
 

No comments: