July 25, 2010

To Live is Christ — forever

Yesterday a local radio station carried a paid advertising program about funeral arrangements. The representative from the funeral home and the radio announcer agreed that because death is not a pleasant topic, many people do not prearrange anything, leaving their family to make important decisions while grieving.

This reminds me of the funeral of my nephew. He died in his early thirties from a lymphoma. The pastor who spoke said that one of the most important things that Christians can do in preparation for physical death is to tell their family and friends of our assurance about eternity. He said not to let the day go by without making sure that my loved ones know that I know where I am going when I die.

This pastor also gave a good explanation about the need for settling things with God before that happens. Too many folks say things like, “I’ve been a good person and have to hope that is enough” or “When you are dead, you are dead.” They fail to realize that our goodness is nothing in the sight of God. They also do not understand that when the Bible talks about death, it often means something other than the end of physical life. 

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 2:4–7)
In this verse, “dead” means spiritual death. This, like physical death, is a form of separation only instead of being separated from our bodies, the spiritually dead person is separated from God by sin.

Both kinds of deadness have a cure, an antidote. The answer is found in Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 5 explains how God took my sin and put it on Christ, and took His righteousness and put it on me. Verse 21 says, “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”

Because of that transaction that only God can do, then, “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” (2 Corinthians 5:17)

This means that God’s mercy and grace removed the sin that separated me from Him. He put me “in Christ” and gave me new life, the life of Christ. This overrules spiritual deadness. I am alive because of Jesus, just as the above verses from Ephesians describe.

Further, this is no “hope so” faith. The Bible is clear and my experience agrees concerning this new life; I know that it is mine. The Word of God says so.

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13)
I also know because of my experience. That deadness is gone and I am no longer separated from God. His new life brings with it an awareness of Him. I am aware of His presence, of being with Him, no longer separate. Also, I can now talk about death and funerals without hesitation or uneasiness. This new life has a powerful and positive persuasive assurance about it . . . 
For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate me from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus my Lord. (Romans 8:38–39)
That radio program made me think about the wonder of salvation and verses like Hebrews 2:14–15. 
Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
Death has no sting. Jesus conquered it by a greater power — His own life. Because of His life, freely offered to all who repent of their sin and believe in Him, both physical and spiritual death have lost their power.

No comments: