June 3, 2010

To Live is Christ — trusting the stability of God

The ways of God are beyond understanding. In biblical history, there were times when God seemed to change His tactics. He was sometimes merciful and sometimes He exercised wrath. However, as a human being made in His image, I know that what can appear fickle to others may not be that at all.

For instance, when my children were small, I tried to discipline them for disobedience, but be lenient for childishness. Kids will be kids. When they make mistakes because they do not know any better, teaching is required. When they deliberately choose to do something wrong, punishment and discipline are required.

An onlooker might not know the difference. Even as a mother, I didn’t always know the difference. Yet as God deals with His children, I’m sure that He has all things figured out. He knows the hearts of everyone and treats us according to our need.

Such was the case with King Saul in the Old Testament. He was supposed to defeat a particular enemy and take no spoil. However, he disobeyed God and God had him disposed. The prophet and priest, Samuel, delivered the message. He told Saul that he was finished as king. Of course Saul began begging. He asked Samuel to plead with God and get his throne back. Nevertheless, Samuel said to him, “He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change His mind; for He is not a man, that He should change His mind.” (1 Samuel 15:29)

That was the end of the matter. God knew the heart of this man, and He knew that Saul was more interested in doing his own thing than he was in doing what He told him. God stood His ground.

This quality of God not changing His mind has a positive side too. In Romans 11, Paul explains that Israel has been chosen by God, and although they are in a state of unbelief and disobedience, He still has a plan for them. One day their situation will change and God still considers them His beloved, “for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.” (Romans 11:29)

As a follower of Jesus Christ, this is great assurance for me. God has called me, given me spiritual gifts, and invested much into my life. He has a plan for me and He will not change His mind. I mess up, and sometimes I disobey Him wilfully, yet He always rebukes me, brings me to repentance, and pulls me back on track. I can count on His faithfulness to save me from my sin. It is for this that Christ died.

While some think that such faithfulness on the part of God gives His people freedom to do whatever they please, it has the opposite effect. His love changes the hearts of those who have been chosen. Instead of acting like spoiled brats who know we will be forgiven, His love and forgiveness create new life and a new heart that deeply desires to please Him.

If I thought God was fickle and could never know for sure what He would do with me, I could not trust and rely on Him. It is His faithfulness that is like an anchor for me, a solid place for my soul to rest. To live is Christ means that I am secure, not because of what I do, but because of who He is.

No comments: