June 22, 2010

To Live is Christ — not in a hurry

Children have two concepts of time: now and eternity. Who hasn’t heard a child say, “Are we there yet?” or “I want it now, mommy”? For a little one, waiting even five minutes can seem like forever.

In some ways, I can be like a child. I know the difference between now and next week, but still want what I want — now. Before I became a Christian, this was mostly about me and my wants. Since Christ came into my life, this changed. One change is that He motivates me to pray for others. Some are Christians and many are not. As I pray for maturity in believers and the salvation of those who are not, I sometimes get impatient. I’ve said to God, “Are they there yet?”

The devotional verse that I’m studying is about the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Christians often try to predict when this will happen, or look at the deteriorating world around them and announce it will be soon. Jesus said that no one knows the day or the hour, but we are eager to see Him. I’ve even said, “Is it time? Are we there yet?” This verse explains why the return of Jesus seems slow. God isn’t as interested in speed as I am. He is more interested in thoroughness and human souls. . . 

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)
If Jesus came tomorrow, half the people on my prayer list would not be ready, maybe more than half. Some of them would perish because they have not turned from sin and unbelief to Jesus Christ. Some would be caught off guard because they are caught up in living in this world. They may have the Lord in their lives, but fall short of being wholehearted about it.

My responsibility is to pray for those God puts in my life and on my heart, even speak to them about Jesus. However, praying is difficult and speaking is even more difficult. I understand why some Christians become involved with this life, not praying or speaking about Jesus to others. Almost anything else is easier.

Then there is that time element. When I tell someone about Jesus, I want them to believe — now. When I pray about the growth and maturity of other believers, I sometimes become impatient. I want them (and myself too) to be “there yet.”

God promises that He will finish what He starts. Those who believe in Him will one day be just like Jesus. “Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.” (1 John 3:2–3)

I know this, yet verse three ends with, “everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.” Having the hope of being like Jesus ought to motivate Christians. Everyone should be growing in purity. The promise of this should motivate others into wanting to be children of God. This is what God has in mind, and this is what I pray for, but so often I am impatient.

God says that I cannot change others; impatience implies that I wish I could. However, I can only respond to the Holy Spirit and make choices for myself, not other people. Instead of becoming impatient with them, and ultimately with God, I need to choose trust. I should remember how long He worked in my life before my stubborn heart realized that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him (Hebrews 11:6). My patience should kick in when I remember how long it takes me to wake up to my own deeply entrenched selfishness and then repent. I am totally thankful that God is longsuffering toward me. I have no excuse for not being the same toward others.

Jesus, You never push or hurry me. You give me time to learn, grow, become aware, and make new choices. Sometimes I imagine You sighing or even groaning at my childish sense of time and impatience, but this verse does not picture You that way. Instead, You unhurriedly work, bringing Your children to maturity and drawing others from their sin into Your family. Help me cooperate with you. I need to trust Your timing and I especially need Your patience.

No comments: